eight.

her voice was far from accusatory. it was confused, almost. matt didn't respond, afraid that she would now realize that it was all his fault.

"matt, answer me. i got all my memory back last night. you were driving the car, weren't you?" she repeats, this time more firm. matt looks her in the eye before sighing.

"i was." he replies, his voice quiet. evelyn makes a sound, almost like a laugh of disbelief.

"and you forgot to mention this to me when you explained what was happening? this entire time i went thinking that i was driving the car and that i did this to myself and you never told me." she says, her voice starting to get louder.

"evie, i'm sorry." matt starts. "really, i am. i just, i didn't know how to tell you. the accident really messed with me, too, especially since you were the one that got hurt the most. you have no idea how its affected me the past few weeks, ev. seeing how it messed with you made me feel even more guil-" he stops, realizing he said too much. the last this he wanted was for evelyn to find out that he blamed himself. a look of realization flashed on evelyn's face as her expression shifted from angry to concerned to sympathetic.

"matt... you don't blame yourself for the accident, do you?" 

matt didn't answer. instead, he looked down and started fidgeting with the rings on his fingers. evelyn grabbed them, making him look up at her. 

"you are the last person to blame for this, matt." evelyn states. "you need to trust me. my dad doesn't blame you and i certainly don't blame you. the only person at fault is the asshole drunk driver who hit us. you hear me, matt?"

hearing these same words from evelyn's mouth somehow convinced matt. he thought about her words. she was absolutely right. it wasn't his fault.

"wow. somehow hearing it from you convinced me better than nick." matt laughs. evelyn chuckles lightly.

"you should listen to nick, matt. he's the oldest for a reason."

"you're right," matt sighed. he checked his phone. how the fuck was it six pm already? "woah, time just flew by." he says, standing up. "i have to get home for dinner. oh holy fuck i'm so glad your memory's back. and you don't blame me! another plus! wow, i'm so happy all of a sudden." he starts doing some happy dance that makes evelyn laugh. 

"i'll see you tomorrow?" matt asks, getting into his car. evelyn's smile almost drops but matt doesn't notice. she gives him another weak smile and a nod. matt gives her a thumbs up before starting the car and waving as he backs out of her driveway.

"yeah. tomorrow." she replies, giving matt a small wave back. 

maha speaks :)

this makes no sense rn im so sorry but i promise it will all come together at the end trust me