1

Curiosity is a strange thing. It can start out as an 'I wonder' but it can quickly turn into an 'I demand to know'. That's what you had found out over the past couple years. It was scary to see how much people desperately wanted to know about you, how much they demanded. It wasn't as if you were famous. Not by any stretch. With a good 10,000 followers to your name, you were known at best. Not many people found calligraphy interesting, but you'd found your target audience who could found the calligraphy visually pleasing and were able to find peace of mind listening to you tell stories.

They ranged from old tales by The Brothers Grimm to stories by online users to stories about how your day went. Calligraphy was a hobby of yours since you were young. Your grandmother made you learn it after she attempted to read something you'd written during school and she couldn't make out any of the words. She said that calligraphy was a useful skill. Of course, when you got your job as a server in a hotel for fancy events, you knew that calligraphy would be the least of your worries. There had been the odd time when your boss had heard wedding planners worry about invitations and she mentioned that you did excellent calligraphy. Every time she did that, you'd get some extra pocket change and a sleepless nights worth of writing.

You'd started posting pictures of some of your calligraphy, finding that it allowed stress to melt away after a long day of work. After a while, people had asked for videos to see how you did it. That was how you got to where you were today. You made a handful of change for each little video you posted, but more than for the money, you enjoyed it because it allowed you to relax after a long day.

As much as you could say that you didn't want the money you received for making your small videos, it soon became necessary. Of course, it never covered everything you needed to pay, but a dollar off of the total was a dollar less than you had to worry about.

Your grandmother, resilient as she was, was beginning to develop Alzheimer's. It started with forgetting small things like where she put her keys or phone. Easy symptoms to overlook. As she progressed it got worse. She started forgetting who you were. Other than her symptoms of Alzheimer's, she was completely healthy. The only thing you could do was send her to a long term care facility. You'd had money saved up which was how you were able to pay thus far, but that money was running out and with paying for bills of your own, time was running out. You couldn't care for your grandmother whilst simultaneously working a full time job. You'd been trying to find easy sources of income, but nothing was working. It weighed heavily on your mind all the time.

"(Y/N), focus," Huening Kai, your coworker, muttered as he passed you, gently elbowing your arm. He nodded towards a group of people that hadn't received any of the hors d'oeuvres that you were supposed to be handing out.

Your customer service smile returned to your face as you walked near the group of businessmen. You hadn't been told what sort of event was going on, but you could only guess that it was some sort of banquet.

Every man wore a fancy suit and women wore evening gowns. Even your uniform was nicer than normal. White button up shirt with a bow tie, as well as a pencil skirt. Your job today was to hand out appetizers and when that was done, you would be serving the main meal as well. After all was done, you would help clean the tables and usher guests to their cars to their rooms in the hotel.

The various topics that floated around the room were enough to fill it with sound. No one was talking particularly loud, but it was the buzz of constant chatter that kept you from being able to properly eavesdrop on anyone. That part sucked. You loved to listen to what everyone would talk about.

When your tray was emptied by the important businessmen, you headed back to the kitchen to get more to serve. Instead of appetizers, you were handed a tray of champagne. You moved around methodically, looking for those whose hands were empty. There was one man who looked particularly left out of his conversation so you walked past the group, quietly asking if anyone wanted champagne. The only one to hear you was the one man who took one of his hands out of his dress pants pocket and gently grabbed a glass of champagne, tipping it towards you in gratitude before you moved off to the next groups of people.

The event seemed nice for those attending, but you found it chaotic, as you always did. There was so much you had to be aware of and you found it made your head spin by the end of the night.

You were tasked with handing out drinks for those who wanted them. Your coworkers would be bringing dinners to everyone and you would soon follow with the drinks. You suppressed the chaotic dizziness in your head and grabbed the full tray of champagne, stopping at each table. You would give glasses to those who asked and continue on to the next table. You moved about as quietly as you could as someone you assumed to be the boss, spoke about company things and whatnot. You were too busy to pay attention. You approached one of the last tables and you still had quite a few glasses of champagne on the tray and as you approached the table, someone else stood up and their shoulder caught on the tray, tipping it directly onto you. The champagne covered you and the glass shattered at your feet. The chilled alcohol immediately made the hair on your arms stand straight. You froze for a moment as the attention shifted from the company boss's speech to you.

Just as quickly as it happened, you were whisked away by a stranger at the table, the one who had been left out of the conversation prior to this. With an expert flourish as he stood, he unbuttoned his suit jacket and wrapped it around you, gently grabbing your arms and leading you out of the scrutinizing gazes of his presumed coworkers. It was obvious that he didn't know where exactly to take you, so he took you to the lobby of the hotel.

"Are you alright?" He asked, giving you a quick once over to check for any cuts or obvious damage other than the stains on your shirt. His hands remained on the side of your arms as he quickly checked you over.

"Yes, I'm fine," you murmured. "I'm sorry for the trouble." Thinking about the mess you'd caused was just another load of stress on your mind.

"It's quite alright. Accidents happen," he chuckled, moving his hands to his pockets.

"You can have your jacket back," you told him, trying your best to ensure that champagne didn't soak into it.

"No, you should keep it," he told you grabbing the collar of it and placing the coat on your shoulders again. "I don't particularly need it anyways," he shrugged giving you a friendly smile. "Consider it a thank you for helping me earlier."

"How did I help you earlier?" You asked, only remembering giving him a glass of champagne.

"I was feeling awkward and I didn't know what to do with my hands. It made me nervous. When you gave me the champagne, it eased my nerves," he explained as if it were obvious.

"Alright," you nodded, not quite understanding exactly how you helped him. After a moment of thought, you grabbed a pen and a card from the check in desk and wrote down your phone number, handing it to the man. "If you decide you want your suit jacket back, just let me know and I'll have it dry cleaned for you."

After you handed him the card, you walked to the kitchen to figure out what your coworkers were doing to fix your mess. They'd sent someone out with a mop to clean the champagne, and a broom and dustpan to clean the glass. Apparently a few jokes were made to transition away from the incident but overall, no one seemed mad about what had happened.

After that, the night went by quickly. Mainly because your manager told you not to go out again because your uniform was dirty. Instead, you stayed in the kitchen and arranged the trays for your coworkers to take out.

The time to leave couldn't have felt more perfect. You slipped out the back door and walked to the bus stop which took you a couple minutes away from your home. When you got there, you collapsed on your sofa, groaning at the horrendous embarrassment that todays work day held.

You took off the nice man's suit jacket and hung it on your coat tree before changing out of your uniform and throwing it in the washing machine. You decided the way to take your focus away from the incident would be to talk about it. So you grabbed out your freshly washed quills and some calligraphy parchment and began recording a video of you writing a random letter. After that, you wrote a quick script and did a voice over. You used minimal editing and posted the video right away. It took a few hours but you felt at ease as soon as you posted it. You were so at ease that you fell asleep almost immediately after it happened.

All it took was one split second. One split second on a frantic and chaotic night and your life and struggles would shift unimaginably.