big black ink

TW: slight mention of gore

the sound of the rustling trees against the cold bitter wind of night was unnerving. it was the sound that made anyone think of the unknown and if that wind coming from the big black ink was really the thing making those trees sway.

the ground was cold and wet from the rain the day before. the forest has smelt of rotten wood and dirt. for an early fall night, it was silent besides the trees.

beyond the trees the stars lit up the forest in such a manor you'd think a spotlight was shining from above searching the forrest for something lost.

two eyes peered up at that sky, and they belonged to a girl. a girl no older than 15. she stared up at that sky, unblinking. the stars reflected off of her dull eyes as she stared and stared. a gust of wind caused her hair to swirl around her face but she didn't blink or even flinch.

the cold air had whirled around her body, but her skin never prickled or shivered as she lay there.

she hadn't been afraid to lay there for she didn't have a choice.

her mind was empty yet she looked as if she was thinking of so many things.

her cold body lay limp as that light shone from above again. that light was closer, and more vibrant. it couldn't have been a star as much as she wanted it to be. that light surrounded her body and almost warmed her as it settled. a large buzzing sound had filled the quietness of the night.

the grass and trees surrounding her had swirled even more than they had as the light hovered from above.

"SHE'S OVER HERE! I NEED A MEDIC!"- "CONTACT HER FAMILY IMMEDIATELY", voices had shouted. none of which she knew of course and none of which that she had cared. they were far too late (8 days exact) and she had known that. her dull eyes had no reaction from the bright light, just as her pale rotting flesh had no reaction from the bitter cold that night and the nights before.

someone had kneeled down beside her, examining her features and what was left of them. they had a solemn and empathetic aura to them as they stood up and moved away from this gruesome sight, needing some space.

she had been found. later into the night she was taken away from that blanket of night sky and stars that were splattered across it.

she had felt the comfort she had been wanting as her body was driven away to be identified.

and simply knowing that she would never have to feel cold again.

THE END