Chapter 1

The grey mat in the footwell of Chrissy's car was surprisingly interesting. Especially, with Chrissy silently fuming on the driver's seat as she pulled into the hospital parking lot.

"You're such an idiot," was the sentence I probably had to have heard the most in the last hour. I had stopped answering but it hadn't prevented Chrissy from muttering it under her breath every few minutes.

She killed the engine and stepped out. The door fell shut with a bit too much force and not for the first time did I wish I had a good excuse for what had happened. I didn't. I had simply been stupid.

Chrissy rounded the car before opening my car. I peeked up before glancing at the small opening. Chrissy was still frowning but I knew there was no way I was going to make it out of this car by myself.

But part of me was too prideful to ask. Especially with the way Chrissy had been acting.

So, I grabbed the top of the door, trying to pull myself up. Instead, I almost shut it into my face.

I fell back onto the seat, somewhat relieved if embarrassed to hear Chrissy laugh; the first friendly sound that had come out of her since that very bashful phone call I had to make.

She held out her hands. While my pride was still cracked, even I had to admit that there was no real other choice. So, I put my hands into her palms. With her help, I got onto my feet, a hiss leaving my lips when I put a bit too much pressure onto my bad ankle.

"How did you even do that?" Chrissy asked, some of the annoyance slipping back into her voice, though most was overshadowed by the amusement of watching me struggle.

At least someone got entertainment from it.

All things considered it was a good question. One I had asked myself many times since it had happened. One moment I was training, copying a dance move I had found in a video, and the next I had found myself on the floor with an aching ankle.

Luckily – or perhaps unluckily as I was starting to think – Chrissy had been in the studio as well and volunteered to drive me to the hospital.

Putting most of my weight onto her, I limped into the waiting room of the emergency room. Carefully, she helped me sit down on one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs before leaving to register.

A few chairs down the line sat a boy, face pale and skin sweaty as coughs shook his small frame.

Another woman was holding a tissue to her nose, drenched in red.

It was enough for me to avert my eyes, stomach churning at the sight.

I hated hospital.

Chrissy let herself fall onto the chair next to me, a long sigh leaving her. She ran a hand through her messy curls.

"Let me guess, you want me to cover your class on Thursday?"

An apologetic smile pulled on the corners of my lips. "Please?" Then I glanced down to the offending ankle, already swollen with a dull pain pulsing through my leg. As much as I wished to teach my class, I doubted I would be able to.

Still, putting it onto Chrissy left a bitter taste in my mouth. With exams coming up we were supposed to split teaching the kids. And now, here I was, putting all of the work onto her shoulders.

Chrissy let her head fall back against the white wall but didn't argue.

The rest of the time waiting was spent in silence. Only when a nurse called my name did I get pulled out of my thoughts.

With a wheelchair I was pushed away from the waiting room and into a small corridor that held all the treating rooms. Once parked there, it was another round of waiting. Slowly, the adrenaline was leaving my body and exhaustion was settling in.