Unegg-spected

31st October 2022 Halloween's Eve.

SEVENTEEN year old Rosetta Stone was raising her hands in the air as late Michal Jackson's Thriller played in the background, moving her body to the music. Imagine dance side by side with little monsters.

Earlier that afternoon, her parents, Martha and Hugh Stone, had planned to visit the neighbors who lived down the street from their place and wanted her to come with them. The other two siblings were at their friends' houses, no doubt stuffing their faces with sugary treats til they went into a sugar coma or watching scary movies. But she asked to stay home, claiming she was old enough to stay home alone on Halloween Eve and handle handing out candy to trick or treaters. Martha had been a little anxious for older daughter being home alone. What if someone or something broke into the house and tried to kill her?

Hugh assured his wife that was not going to happen. She was a growing girl. Even if something came after their daughter, he'd get the axe and chop them to pieces. A gory image. They made her promise to call them if there were any problems or emergency. After making said promise, she'd be fine. After wishing they both had a great time and lightly pushed their backs out the door, said goodbyes, hopped in their car, and drove down the street. She locked the door behind them and leaned against it with a sigh. Finally, she had the place to herself for the next hour and a half. She rubbed her hands together.

What to do, what to do.

An idea popped into her head. She ran upstairs and changed into a dark purple and black dress, with black ankle boots, let her curly red hair down and added a witches hat. Next, she got her phone and searched through songs until she had what she was looking for. What a better way to spend Halloween in a new town, then get down and boogie to the classics.

It wasn't long until the doorbell rang and went to greet the first wave of the little monsters, and magicians came for the treats. It was fun. She soon grew bored and peeked outside the window and saw the full moon had turned a crimson red colour as blood. "Cool." Looked at it in awe and took a picture. Smiled to herself. I'm definitely putting this up on social media later.

That's when she heard the shuffle of shoes come up the wooden porch and a loud knock on the front door.

Ooh, another trick or treater! She shouted she was coming . Didn't get a reply. When she opened the front door, no one was there. Strange. I thought I heard someone knock.

"Hello?" she looked both ways and couldn't see anyone on the porch. Parents walking with their children nearby. None approaching or leaving her parents' house. It must be a prankser messing around with her. Rosetta shrugged her shoulders and turned to head back inside. when she saw a wicker basket filled with medium-sized ebony eggs, with purple and green zig zag patterns.

Weird, it hadn't been there a minute ago.

When she knelt to get a closer look, they started moving side to side, shaking, and a loud CRACK filled the air.

The eggs were hatching? Maybe they were cute chicks or reptiles.

A small hole opened up, a single sharp, scaly claw emerged from within, next a head resembled a newborn chick, but with dark ebony fluff with strange patterns across the forehead, it broke away from it's former shell to reveal leather wings on its back, leather arms with claws, when it opened it's beak to reveal razar sharp teeth. More emerged from their shells and turned their gazes up at the teenage girl with beady red eyes.

Scratch being cute. they were horrifying. They grinned and all let out small roars.

She did the most logical thing anyone would do when she encountered unnatural creatures. She let out a blood curdling scream for help. People gave her strange looks, and she bolted inside the house. Scratching noises against the doors.