Chapter 1. Rainbow

Year E2996

Year E2996

Beck's POV

The end of the rainbow wasn't a pot of gold for me. It was more colors. Little did I know a rainbow wasn't a bridge or an arch to my dreams. It was a circle in the sky of never-ending fantasies. The red, orange, and yellow continued as water poured from the atmosphere, painting blue, indigo, and violet.

"Captain Doxon, we found a stowaway hiding under the floorboards in the storage closet," the man with huge hands on my shoulder said into his birdroid. The orange robot bird chirped back at him while jumping up and down. They invented the birdroid to be more high-tech. Instead of walkie-talkies, it's still a walkie-talkie to me, just more annoying.

The man's bushy eyebrows looked at me like I was an alien. Static cawed from the communication bird before its beak opened.

"Bring them up to me," the captain's voice sprang from the birdroid.

"You are in trouble now, boy." His hands gripped my arm, pulling me to the captain.

A whistling noise echoed in the dark hallway as he dragged me to my death. Being a small sixteen-year-old boy made it easy for me to hide under the floor, but Tyrannosaurus, my sidekick rabbit, had to give away my spot.

It wasn't easy crawling my way off Nus this morning. The spaceship holds most of the human population, better known as my home. This smaller traveling spacecraft was bound for somewhere new, and I didn't want to miss it.

The spaceship rattled, prompting me to fall forward into a bear of a man. Being on a smaller ship than the gigantic one humanity lived in generated my seasickness. Well, I mean, space sickness. I don't know what seasick means or feels like, but I've seen the old movies from Earth and would like to think it's like this.

I held my hand over my mouth, glancing down to see Tyrannosaurus peeking his head at me. Smiling, I pushed his ears down to be sure the oversized bodyguard didn't see him.

Tyrannosaurus snuggled into my oversized coat, tucking his gray head away from my glare. "Look what you did now, Tyran."

The man squeezed my arm tighter. "Name?" he asked in a deep voice.

"Wouldn't that be nice?" I replied. "Giving you my name to make your job easier."

He stopped in his tracks, grabbing my shoulders so I would face him. He crouched down, letting his coffee breath fan my face. "I'm not afraid to just let space take you." He moved closer. "Let you beg for air in a—"

"Beck!" I yelled with fear, feeling my face turn white. "My name is Beck." On a side note, living on Nus my whole life had added the fear of suffocating in space, holding my throat while my eyes popped out of their sockets.

He smirked, standing straight to knock on the metal door behind me. "Captain Ray Doxon, it's Rob." He opened the door.

I stepped into the room, pulling my arm from Rob. My eyes fell off my face as I gawked at the window. There was a small ball of blue and green floating in space. The blues swirled around as the green changed to brown in areas resembling earth. Teachers told me there were mirror planets to Earth somewhere in space, my doppelgänger living life, not on a spaceship.