Chapter 1

"Damn..." I muttered as I felt the rain starting to pour down. I ran over to a dry place and opened up my umbrella, then stepped back onto the sidewalk.

My name is Jean Kirschtein. I'm 23 years old and I just got out of college. As I walked back to my house, which was only about another block away, I saw a man, drenched with water and sitting on the ground. He must've slipped.

"Excuse me sir." I walked as fast as I could without slipping in a puddle. I eventually made it to him and he took off the hood on his jacket to look at me. I held out my hand to help him up and he took it gratefully. He looked about my age and about an inch taller than me. I held the umbrella above the both of us so that he wouldn't get more soaked than he already was.

"Thank you." He said and took off the beanie that was on his head and wrung out the water. His messy brown hair was all over the place when he took it off. He held out his hand to me. "I'm Marco Bott." He introduced himself.
"Thanks for helping me out. I was trying to rush back home when I slipped an fell." He chuckled. "I always was a klutz." He added.
"Oh it's fine. It really was no problem. I'm Jean Kirschtein, by the way." I said and looked around.
"It was nice meeting you Jean Kirschtein." He said, followed by a smile. "My pleasure." I mumbled as I looked at the empty road. Taxis didn't pass through this part of town, so I couldn't hail him a cab.

"The rain doesn't really show sign of stopping soon. I can walk you home." I offered.
"Oh really? You would do that? I hope it's not too much trouble for you."
"Of course not. Where do you live?" I asked and looked over at him.
"11443 garrison street." He replied and I looked at him with surprise. "Oh really? That would make you my neighbor." I chuckled softly. "I guess I don't really pay that much attention."
"Come to think of it," he started, "You do look familiar." He tapped his chin in concentration as we walked.

He snapped his fingers as the idea finally came to his mind. "You went to Mikasa's party!" Exclaimed as if he had just hit the jackpot. "You went to her christmas party didn't you?" He asked. Just him mentioning Mikasa's name made me blush. That girl was so hot. She pretty much had everything...even a boyfriend. That damn jäger. I was snapped out of thought when Marco tapped my shoulder. "Well?" He asked curiously. "Yea, I was there." I admitted and he chuckled. "Weren't you the guy that got drunk from the punch?"
My face turned red when he mentioned that. Probably the most embarrassing moments of my life. I woke up the next morning passed out in the bathtub, woken by an angry Mikasa. I sighed. "Yep. But it wasn't my fault. Reiner spiked my punch with vodka." I muttered, still red-faced. Marco was nice about it though. He didn't make fun of me for it. He just nodded and shoved his hands in the pockets of his khaki pants.

We soon arrived at Marco's house, which was a bit bigger than mine. We walked up the front steps and he slipped off his wet shoes at the entrance. "You wanna come inside? Have a drink or something?" He offered and I put my hand up in decline. "Oh, no thanks. I'm just next door." He smiled at me and his bag slipped off his shoulders and onto the ground. "Oh, let me get that." I said and we both bent over at the same time to grab the bag, and in the process our heads bumped together. He chuckled and stepped away, allowing me to grab the bag. I took it in my hands and got back up. "Here." I held my arms out for him to grab the bag. He took it from my hands. "Thank you, Jean." He said warmly.

"Hey, how about I give you my number?" I suggested and pulled a pad of paper and a pencil from my bag. I wrote down my number on the paper and placed it in his hands. "Just in case you need anything." I added and held the umbrella back over my head as I stepped down the stairs. "Hey Jean." I heard his voice call. I turned around to look at his freckled face, with his brown bangs pushed into his face, and his chocolate eyes, glistening with interest.

"Are you free for coffee tomorrow?" He asked and smiled. I gulped. "Uhm yea. How about 11:00 tomorrow morning?" I questioned with a shrug.

"Perfect." He replied. "I'll see you then, Jean Kirschtein."