I do...not

Ridhi, I don't see this working out anymore.’

Aakash swept his hand over his face. They have waited long enough. Clearly, neither of them were happy.

Ridhima stared at the fan that was spinning on the ceiling, as she laid on the bed with her feet dangling from the edge. She was too calm, her hands rested on her abdomen, which rose and fell with her steady breathing.

She didn't feel anything. No sadness, anger, heartbreak, it was nothing. She just hummed softly.

Maybe’, Aakash hesitated before speaking again, ‘do you have- is there someone else?’ he turned to look at her.

Ridhima just laughed and shook her head negative. Still staring at the rotating wings. ‘Do you?’ she asked back, laughing at her own question. Of course she knew the answer.

Aakash smiled a little seeing her laugh. He plopped down with his back to the bed right beside her. ‘No I don't.’

I think we were just better off as friends. This was a stupid idea.’

‘A little too late to realize, ain't it?’

Their silence seemed to agree with each other's thoughts. They didn't love anyone else, they simply didn't love each other.

It should have been shocking that 15+ years of married life didn't mean anything, but they were being honest, nothing else.

They did not have kids, so there's no responsibility or liability to tie them down, so they are free to separate, right? Or maybe it was because of that?

The two friends were not very lucky in relationships, and their parents couldn't find "the perfect match", as both their horoscopes turned out to be problematic. Being the greatest problem solvers, their parents decided that it would be for the best if they got married to each other.

Minus x minus is a plus!

Ridhi and Akash were indifferent to the idea. They didn't see why not. Though Aakash did worry if it would change the dynamics of the friendship they shared, it was just a matter of time before their parents talked him out of any doubts.

They attended couple courses, promised to learn to love each other as a partner, and did stick to the word. The wedding was simple, and for the first few days, it was completely awkward.

Ridhi felt a little shy at every accidental brush of their hands, his eyes seemed to be looking at her in a different manner than all the years. Aakash, however felt it funny, to see the angry bird being silent and giddy and smiling ear to ear.

The two lived more like roommates than like a couple, but they did share a room. Sleeping was the most difficult thing to do, especially when they face each other. Either one would giggle or cough and avert gaze if they made eye contact for more than a minute.

The couples session really helped, and the two started doing little things that made the other happy. He would bring home flowers out of the blue or she would set up for a movie night. It was simple, yet exciting. They were eager to see this completely new side of themselves.

Once the awkward phase passed, they started to move more freely with each other. The small touches didn't make them shiver anymore, they felt comfortable to have remote fights on the couch.

But there was this new freezing feeling. There were these moments, when the two shared a dressing mirror, freezing when his breath hit her nape, with their eyes locked in the reflection, when he would watch her fall asleep and then gently tuck a fallen hair behind her ear, she being awake with her heart thudding against her ribs, ready to fall out, or when she suddenly kissed him on his cheek before running into her office, leaving a stunned man at the entrance, staring ahead with no thoughts but a blush.

They knew something was starting to spark and oh, did they enjoy it!