Immeasurable Emptiness

Immeasurable emptiness. The term seemed quite contradictory for emptiness was reckoned incalculable, but Mikey’s mind couldn’t process yet how words were formed as his eyes were glued on the darkness enveloping the sky. Immeasurable emptiness. Mikey again muttered under his breath, and at that moment he felt that those two words could have never felt so precise.

His gaze averted to the clock. Rhythmic clicks became more audible to his ears, reminding him of horses prancing around.

The clock hands both faced downwards signaling that it was 6:30 and without looking back, Mikey stood up from his desk and headed towards the elevator. 

Mikey let the rich smell of after-rain petrichor seep through his lungs, his air pathways opening widely as he did so as if he just inhaled vaporub. 

Another day filled with vacuous repetition.

 He rose when it was dark and he was going home with it. Mikey gazed intently at his coworkers' wrinkled face as they laughed at nothing in particular, proceeding to form herds, glancing at Mikey's direction for a moment, probably wondering whether or not they should include him in their chatter, but ended up leaving him regardless in front of the entrance. Alone. Just like they always did.

Mikey walked away in the opposite direction, paying the awkward interaction no mind because he knew that he never applied for that job to mingle. He took his steps leisurely to the station. Taking his usual route, it would take only five minutes to arrive, then he'd go home, turn on the heater, pass out, and wake up again in the dark as he lurked in his own house like a lost shadow whereafter he went to work with the same indifference he ceaselessly felt. 

But not today. 

Because today was a special day. It was the day his ruthless existence began and he planned an unorthodox way to spend its last seven hours.