One Shot

"C'mon, Gintoki, get up already." (Y/N) stood over him with her arms crossed. "Didn't I say we need to be out of the door by 7?"

Gintoki groaned and responded by pulling the futon covers over his head.

"You lazy pain in the ass." (Y\N) walked over to the side of the futon where his feet were and, small as she was, effortlessly yanked his body out from under the covers.

"AGH, you stupid woman, what're you doing!?"

"I told you to GET UP."

Kagura's birthday was coming up, so the two of them—somewhat reluctantly, in Gintoki's case—had decided to throw a small celebration that evening at Otose's place downstairs. Shinpachi was going to help (Y/N) with cooking (they convinced Otae to handle guest invitations so she wouldn't get anywhere near the stove), while Gintoki was in charge of making the cake. The sugar-obsessed man was, after all, a surprisingly good baker. There were a lot of ingredients they needed to buy, so it was decided they'd go shopping in the morning.

"This is the Yorozuya, you know? We don't work for free and we definitely don't PAY to get things done for people," Gintoki complained with a yawn, sluggishly sitting up. He reached a hand inside his pajama pants to scratch his behind.

"Oh, stop being so dramatic; everyone's chipping in to help out. How about you get those things done in return for me not breaking your Ketsuno Ana figurine?"

"Hey, don't you dare touch that," Gintoki shot a look in (Y/N)'s direction. "You don't know how much effort I put into getting another figurine after the two idiots broke my last one."

She sighed. "Why do you even have that? It's creepy."

"Oi, oi, oi, don't tell me someone's feeling a little jealous. Don't worry, Gin-san here will still shower poor (Y\N) with plenty of attention—AGH!"

(Y/N) threw his change of clothes at his face. "Be ready in 5 minutes or else I'm eating all your pudding."

Gintoki watched her walk out of his room and slide the door shut. Well, she didn't deny it.

Months had passed since the two childhood friends reunited and began to rekindle their relationship. At first, there was some awkwardness between them, but soon enough they fell right back into their old dynamic. Still, there were lingering feelings that remained unspoken since long ago, and now that the two samurai were spending a lot of time together again, those emotions were quickly bubbling back to the surface.

Muttering to himself, Gintoki changed into his daytime outfit and walked over to the kitchen to do his morning routine. As he passed by the closet, he heard Kagura's and Sadaharu's deep snores.

Brushing his teeth, Gintoki recalled the last birthday he had celebrated with his childhood friends.

The Jouishishi had just claimed a major victory in the war, and fighting was on hold for almost two weeks while both sides took time to recover. It had been (Y/N)'s birthday. As always, Takasugi showed up with crates of Yakulk from who knows where, while Katsura made (Y/N)'s favorite onigiri. On the other hand, Sakamoto had no idea it was her birthday until the evening of and decided it'd be a great idea to offer her a trip to the nearest red-light district to visit some brothels. "Ahahaha! Or maybe instead you wanna go for one of these men here? I'd be more than happy to volunteer." He slid his hand around her waist, causing her to choke on the sake she had been drinking. Gintoki, Takasugi, and Katsura immediately proceeded to beat up the brown-haired samurai.

Gintoki didn't want to give her his gift in the presence of the other three, so he waited until everyone had retired for the night. Sitting on the rooftop, he looked out into the distance and watched the faint flickering lights from the enemy's base, deep in thought. He then heard noise coming from behind him and turned his head to see (Y/N) climbing up. "What's up? Why did you want me to come up here?" she asked, sitting down next to him.