10 Years

10 years. It had been 10 years since that damn farmer went back to the city. They didn't really give a reason why they left. Any time one of the villagers asked, the story changed.

"My mother is sick, I need to take care of her"

"Got an opportunity for my dream job"

"I miss my friends"

"Turns out that farm life just isn't for me"

Nearly 4 years taking care of that old dump and "farm life just wasn't for them" like that was believable.

Nearly everyone could tell just how happy they looked while giving the animals their daily pets. How excited they were to make their first bottle of wine. Poor Harvey had multiple experiences with how the farmer insisted on going to the mines everyday. Only to return bloody with a handful of gems and a huge smile.

But they had left. Without saying a single goodbye they left. Disappeared during the night.

10 years. That's how long it had been since there was a new face in town. It was all anyone would talk about. Theories about what they would be like flooded the streets. So when it wasn't a new comer in Pierre's store no one could believe it. Sure the farmer looked quite a bit older now. But the eyes were the same. The smile was the same.