Split at Birth

Nothing like the grand buildings of Coruscant to make it feel like home, Luke Amidala thought bitterly. He would even take one of the swamps from Naboo over looking at one more spacescraper. The Gungans made for better company than the stiff senators his mother would invite over for dinner. He could always count on the same questions to be rattled off.

How are you liking Coruscant so far, Linus?

Do you find the cuisine to your liking, Link?

Leo, what are your plans for the future? Are you planning on becoming a senator just like your mother?

One day, he would lose his temper at the infuriatingly repetitive questions and declare that he was going to become a Master Jedi. That would certainly alter the path of the conversation.

It was difficult to express these feelings to his mother, Padme Amidala. Queen and then the Senator of Naboo. He especially felt that it would be rather whiny to go to his powerful mother and declare that he'd really rather be tinkering with power converters back on Naboo.

Luke sighed and watched the hover crafts zoom past their large window at break neck speeds. When he wasn't being tutored or forced into awkward social meetings, he liked to dream he was racing such a craft, perhaps against heightened stakes that involved space pirates.

The door slid open with an automatic thunk.

"Prince Luke! Senator Amidala has sent me with a message for you!" The droid most valued by his mother came marching into the expansive apartment, cocking it's head at Luke.

"What is it, C-3PO? Another dinner to prepare for?"

"Why, yes! However did you know?"

"Lucky guess."

"She has sent me because this meeting will be quite important!"

Luke stood from the uncomfortable seat and crossed his arms, "what Senator will it be this time? I hope it's Jar Jar." Dinners with Jar Jar Binks would almost always run short given that his long, amphibious tongue would merely snatch the food off the table. It also provided quite the spectacle.

"Why, it will not be a Senator, but a Master Jedi! In fact, a very good friend of mine if I do..."

"Jedi?" Luke couldn't recall ever having met a Jedi before, certainly not a Master. "Why would she meet with a Jedi?"

The fourteen-year old prince hadn't even noticed that the droid was still speaking, lost in thought. "...and then after that rescue, I tell you, they were lucky that we even got off of Geonosis! My head still does not fit quite right after that bit of factory fiasco!"

Luke interrupted, "3PO, my mother knows this Master Jedi?"

"Why, yes of course! They have been friends since long before you were born, Prince Luke. He was the Master of, oh my, I have said too much. I must speak with the cook. It will be Naboo delicacies for tonight!"

Luke would have pushed further, but he had the feeling that he would just get annoyed with the amount of information C-3PO had archived in case of a need in diverting one's attention.

__________________________________________________________

"Leia, you must let go."

"You must be crazy. I'm not letting go of anything."

Her father chuckled as he watched her balance on the top of a rock formation, "just steady yourself. That's all I'm saying."

"I'm trying! And don't..."

"Do or do not, Leia. There is no try."

The fourteen-year old girl thought of giving her father a piece of her mind, but then she wouldn't be steady. If she wanted to go with him, she would have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she was ready.

Leia placed her hand firmly on the ground and kicked her feet up in the air. She ignored how her clothes shifted and her long braids on either side of her head slipped towards the ground. Instead, she focused.

If you want a balanced mind, you will need a balanced body. If you want a balanced body, you will need a balanced mind. These were the words her father had been repeating to her ever since they started her training over a year ago.

She couldn't quite yet move other things using The Force like her father did, but she had made a blue milk jug shudder once during breakfast. A shudder was better than nothing.

Leia's mind began to wander as she found the task easier than it had been previously. If she could hold the position perfectly, a one-hand stand on top of the tallest peak on Tattooine, for a full minute then her father promised upon his life that he would take her with him during his next venture off world.

And she was sick of sand.

He was always leaving at the drop of a hat. He had a holographic communicator that Leia had only managed to snatch bits and pieces of conversation from. The conversations were never long, but they nearly always had urgent tones. Leia swore after the last call that she could feel the unease floating from her father in waves.

"You're doing well, Leia. Don't lose focus."

"It would help if you wouldn't talk to me, you know."

"There will always be distractions."

Leia grumbled, "that doesn't mean you have to talk to me now."

"I heard that."

"You say that like I was trying to keep it from you." Her palm started to ache, "is it a minute yet?"

"No. I will let you know."

Both suns were beating down on Leia, but she thought of the excitement of being in her father's ship when he was actually flying it off world.

"You're getting restless. If you can't think correctly, think of nothing at all."

"How do you think correctly?"

"It has been a minute." Her father looked up at her, arms crossed, "now get down. And, don't die."

Leia grinned, partially from satisfaction of success and partially of what came next, "who would die over a measly jump like this one?"

­­­­­­­­