The face of insecurity

I watched the city light flashing by, in my own thoughts, listening to my favorite music. All the sudden I was snapped out of my daydreaming by a very indiscreet poke on my arm.
-"Wake up already! Mom has been asking you the same question for like 10 minutes now!" My little brother looked at me with an annoyed expression, and sighed high. He had always been like that, little but somehow grown up and bossy, always right.
-"Are you going to dance class or not? I've got to get to a meeting at work." I could tell that mom was stressed, she continually looked at the time, and worrying about her hair to get messy from the car seat.
-"Uhm yeah sure I'll go I guess." I was in fact way to tired today, but I didn't have anything else to do really. Mom nodded and drove toward the tennis court to drop my brother Percy for practice, and I always walked from there to dance class since it wasn't too far from there.
-"Good luck kids, I'll pick you up here at 5 you know"
-"Yeah thanks, bye mom!" I closed the door and put my headphones in, and started walking towards the giant sports hall.

I was out of breath and tired from the dance session. I took a peek at the clock and panicked for a second, and hurried to change my clothes. Mom was probably already waiting, Percy's tennis practice ends 15 minutes before my dance does. I didn't want to make her more morose than she already was, so I ran as fast as I could toward the parking lot. In the corner of my eye, I saw an animal struggling to get to the shade behind a dumpster in the side if the street. I stopped to take a closer look, and it brought tears to my eyes. She was a bag of bones, struggling to walk. I looked at her one more time, and as our eyes made contact, it was like she dug her way into my heart. I decided to do something and quickly took my jumper out of my bag. I tried to call her, but she was scared. I could get closer by walking sideways to the dumpster. I reached for her, but I immediately pulled my hand back from a small warning bite. I knew I couldn't reach her, so I threw her the crust of my sandwich and ran to my very impatient mother who honked when she finally saw me. I spent the entire car ride home thinking about the dog with so much pain and insecurity in her eyes.