Part 1

August 3rd 1980

7:25 am

Scar

I jumped up, the excitement rushing through me. Everyone knew what today was. Day one of the races! My heart was racing, as I jumped out of bed. Ripping my pajamas off and changing into my jeans, hoodie and shoes. Rushing down the stairs as I can hear them loading the car onto the trailer. The loud engine reving. That's the best sound one could ever hear! I might be only ten but I know what I want to do in life... race! My dad had three cars, a 69 camaro ss, a 68 mustang fastback and a 70's challenger. He told me when I turn 16 I can pick one as my own. I can't wait to grow up!

Dashing outside seeing the yellow challenger loaded up, I smiled. My dad got out of the car and hugged me.
"You ready kiddo?" I smiled. "You know it! Your gonna kill it tonight dad!" He laughed "let's  get into the truck, got a long drive ahead of us now" I nodded and hopped in the back with a couple of the pit crew guys. The truck started nicely, the diesel engine running loudly warming up as they finished loading the rest of the truck up. I smiled and rolled the window down. The guys always tried to argue me about who got the window but I always won. Looking out the window on a drive is one of the most relaxing things in the world to me. I loved it.

Soon we were on our way, the big trailer behind us. Rumbling down the gravel driveway. We were on our way to texas for the first race, we got to travel all over the US for these races it's such an amazing experience! Not many people get this option, so for me to be born into it I would say I'm pretty damn lucky. I put my head against the door, the wind brushing against my hair. Slowly I passed out.

4:36 pm

The truck hit a pot hole and I whacked my head against the door "OW!" The boys both laughed. "What." I growled. I may only be ten but I sure as hell was tough. My dad looked at me and smiled. He knew I was tough and could hold my own. But he also told me I was a brat sometimes. That was fine I knew I was. I just started focusing on the music..

"I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You brought me fame and fortune
And everything that goes with it
I thank you all
But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise
I consider it a challenge before
The human race
And I ain't gonna lose
And we mean to go on and on and on and on

We are champions, my friends
And we'll keep on fighting till the end
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions of the world"

I smiled. I wouldn't trade this for anything...

6:00 pm

We pulled down a long driveway, you could see trailers and cars all around us. My excitement levels rise. I was ready, and we were gonna win! We pulled into a spot and parked. I hopped out and ran to the track. It was brand new. First race for any car. However, no cars are allowed on it until tomorrow. Which I was sad about. But I was determined for us to be the first ones on it. The tarmac was perfect and so clean. So beautiful.

"HEY!" I turned around my dad waving for me to come back over to them. I jogged there, my black hair flowing down by my shoulders. "We gotta go check in, go with your mom and get everything into our room. I'll be there shortly once the car gets into the garage" I nodded and grabbed bags out of the truck and went with my mother. We were room #26 she opened the door. Holy crap! It was HUGE! Basically our own bungalow. I ran in and threw the bags down. I saw a giant room. "DIBS!" I yelled "oh no you don't! That's for your father and I. You go to the next room" "but mooooom" "no" she stated. I sighed and went into the smaller room huffing and puffing. How is this fair? Whatever I'll barely be in here once the cars get onto the track. So who cares.

10:00 pm

I had gone for a walk alone around the track. There was nothing else better then a warm night with a breeze and racecars. This is where I belong. I slowly walked back to the room, once I got there I went into my room yawning. There was an early morning tomorrow I better get to bed. Good night world. Goodnight beautiful cars. Rest easy loud engines.