𝑇𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑡𝑤𝑜- 𝐻𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝐼 𝑜𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢?

"What a coincidence seeing you here."

"... you literally invited me, Robin."

"Right."

It was two days after the date plans had been put into the light. When Buckley had promised to spread the news, she had gone straight home after her shift to do just that. The Wheeler's had been called and the arrangement had been made.
So there they were; Robin and Nancy, walking the pavements of the local park.

The sun was streaming down like always, but it didn't stop Robin from pulling her jacket tighter around her figure as they strolled.

Nancy followed with a slow pace, staring down to her shoes as they moved one after the other.
"So, what's happened?"

At the side of her, Robin raised her head.
"Oh- nothing's happened."

"Okay?..."

"I just wanted to tell you about an arrangement."

Nancy pursed her lips to signal that she was listening.

"- Steve and his new date are going to the cinema in town." A pause. "And I was wondering whether you'd like to come."

The shorter woman nodded quietly.
"Yeah, I said that I would."

"Oh, well, okay. Great. It's tomorrow at six."

Robin was relieved to know that it was as easy as that. Nancy was keeping her promise, so at least no one would be in a row alone at the movie theatre. However, the simplicity didn't cease the fact that the conversation was desperately awkward.

The two walkers passed the last bench in the park. It wasn't too full in terms of occasional visitors, but the area seemed pretty packed for the summers day. There were a few kids roaring their way along with skateboards as the pair lapped down another round, and as they made their way back to the centre of the area, it became harder to dodge them on the cement.

"What're we watching?"

Robin pondered for a moment.
"Erm, Jaws: The Revenge, I think. Absolutely no idea how it's still available to watch- it came out in, like, January."

Nancy blinked.
"Yeah, that is a bit weird."

"Steve's already seen it, anyway. I guess she hasn't, though."
The use of 'she' was easily tracked back to 'Steve's date'.

It wasn't an unusual occurrence for the eldest Wheeler sister to be quiet when out-and-about. It was known that she'd much rather prefer staying quiet while amongst a group, deep in thought as the others chatted. That day, though, she didn't just seem quiet, she seemed small- and Robin had noticed.

Nancy's arms were crossed, head still tilted down to the ground. Steps were slow, but nonetheless making progress.
The lack of further words wasn't the end of the world, since there was a whole load of commotion surrounding them anyway, but for some strange reason, it felt like they were both blocking it out.

It was just Robin listening to Nancy, and Nancy listening to Robin.

Buckley decided to breach contact.

"Jonathan should be home by now, shouldn't he?"

She was annoyed with herself for bringing it up on every occasion that she could- however, she couldn't help the fact that it felt like a puzzle piece was missing- a puzzle that was only completed when all of the fucked-up pieces were standing alongside one-another again.

The woman beside her almost stuttered in her step.

"Oh, yeah, he, erm-" she stopped for a moment, thinking of the correct words to say in response, "called."

Robin smiled.

"Great!...did his plane get delayed or something?"

Wheeler huffed out a smile.
"Hah, erm, no, actually. He's going to be a few days longer than expected, sadly."

Buckley let her mouth tilt open slightly.
"Oh, that's a... shame."

"Yes, it is, isn't it."

"Mhm."

The replies were short and snappy. Turns out it would be a few more days until Robin could ask about his appearance again.

The kids on the skateboards made their way towards the women again, and instead of nudging over to the same side as each other like they did the time before, the shorter moved to the opposite.
After that, they didn't rejoin as closely as they had done previously.

"How've you been?" Robin decided to ask when the distance wasn't met. "Since I saw you last, that is."

"I've been okay, thanks."

Noise from everybody but them.

"... That's good."

"Yep."

Robin didn't say anything else. She kept quiet, thinking over the things that she had said and pining to find something that might of offended Wheeler in any way. They were both aware from the year previous that Buckley specifically lacked in social skills and didn't always necessarily understand when she had offended someone, or said something rude. Funnily enough, though, nothing seemed to immediately flag up when she traced back over her words.

"Have I offended you?"

The question was put out and both acquaintances immediately stopped in their steps, hands buried deep into jacket pockets.
Nancy screwed her features slightly, carefully shaking her head and opening her mouth in disagreement.

"No, no- of course not."
Her tone sounded surprised, but also worryingly flat. It was easy to see past a lie when it had seemed so hard to make.

"Right." Robin replied, twisting her heel around to continue their walk. "Good. Okay."

However, she had a feeling that she had.