Chapter 1: The Girl

Hermione POV:

It happened during very first year at Hogwarts. I was walking to Harry's first Quidditch match, which was against Slytherin, when I spotted something rather peculiar at the edge of my vision. I stopped and turned around and there, near the big golden gate, stood a girl. She looked about my age with beautiful blonde hair and a bright orange t-shirt which she wore with jeans. Strange for someone who was attending Hogwarts. A sudden thought occurred to me. "What If she was not from Hogwarts?" I shook my head. "No. She has to be from Hogwarts otherwise how did she get here?" I could not see her eyes, as she was facing the other direction, her back to me. 

"I still have time till Harry's Quidditch Match starts at 11," I thought, curiosity about this girl taking the better of me. She was only about 50 metres away. I walked towards her, trying not to be seen, which was hard considering that it was only open ground between me and the blonde-haired girl.

"Hello," I said when I was in hearing distance. The girl whirred around and instantly, I found I had a sharp dagger at my throat. Seemingly as I had been attacked by a giant, smelly troll only days before, I was more frightened than I should have been. Her eyes, which I had just now realised were stormy grey.

"Who are you?" The girl questioned, looking from my tangled brown hair to the tips of my black shoes. 

"I'm Hermione Granger," I said, trying to sound calm. "How about you? What's your name?" The girl's grey eyes narrowed suspiciously. 

"My name," the girl began, and then hesitated. 

"Yes?" I pressed, trying to be warm. The girl's face was conflicted with emotions. But, finally, she cleared her throat. 

"My name, is Annabeth Chase."