An Ode to The King

There once was a wicked king that lived in a world of fairie. He was raised off of cat milk and contempt. The last born son of the former king of Elfhame. The king was an unfortunate child. Born into a family already overburdened with heirs. Raised by no one; treated like a rock in his mother's shoe. Perhaps no one is surprised that he turned out the way he did. I for one loved the king. For I was his queen.

This story is not about me for I have had my time. I am now here to shine light onto the truth. To show the world how they were wrong about their king. Yes, he was once the troublemaking, hellbringing fairie child who would torment the other children of the gentry and would find amusement in being a disappointment. He did always bring drama to every royal function. Running about the throne room wreaking havoc. At one specific occasion, he sought out the human outcast. Unwanted and disgraced. There he saw weakness. Weakness that he could thrive in. Weakness that would make him feel powerful. For I was that human girl in social exile.

The hatred and disgust that they had for one another was so fierce that it was all either one of them could think of. Neither one of them would admit that the other was constantly in their thoughts for it would be a sign of weakness. Both of the young children of Elfhame constantly fought for power over the other. The king held the mortal back physically every way possible. When it came to mentally? He was a puppet controlled by strings. For I was his puppetmaster.

Everytime the king thought he had the upper hand, the disgraceful human would consume his every thought. Making existing a living nightmare. He was obsessed with her, although he would never openly concede to the idea. It would prove his family right that he was as worthless as they say for it was unsatisfactory to the crown to be seen paying any mind to mortals. As much as the king prided himself in not needing validation, every positive remark brought him back to life. For I was his lifeline.

The King learned that he could no longer lie to himself. Making her life a living hell wasn't making his problems go away. It wasnt even giving him pleasure anymore. The boy needed to grow up. Obviously he couldn't just go up to her and call peace. No, that would be too easy. He started helping her in ways that he thought not even a genius would be able to track back to him. For I was a mastermind.

Mutual respect. That was what formed the backbone of their evergrowing accquantanceship. He respected her for he knew she could hold her ground. She respected him for she understood him. The girl acknowledged his past. They did not need to forgive one another to come to terms with their history. For we were relentless.