Good Luck

The atmosphere was alive with a flurry of activity as the workers diligently prepared for the day's task. Boxes of goods, exquisite vases, rolls of fine cloth, and carts carrying animals were readied for transport. However, hidden beneath the façade of a legitimate business lay a sinister truth – they were running a covert slave trading operation.

Each member of the operation knew the dangerous and delicate dance they had to perform, maintaining the illusion of a lawful enterprise while concealing the dark dealings that transpired behind closed doors. They worked quickly and carefully.

"Come along," said the two assistants.

They took the boys to the side of a carriage and found some rope to tie them with. However, before the ropes were tied around their hands, the boy cried out, 'Go!'.

Both boys used their fists and packed the strongest punch they could muster directly on the men's stomachs. The punch hit them like an ambush and the force took them by surprise. They curled on the ground, and it gave the boys a chance to run.

"Don't follow me! Run the other side," the boy gave instructions at Ah Ke.

"Okay," as he ran in the opposite direction.

While Ah Ke ran, the boy distracted the kidnappers.

"You guys can't catch me!" as he pulled out ugly faces at them, showing his tongue and his naked bum at them.

It angered the men, most of them went after him.

Looking while running away, the boy pushed down more boxes he found on his way. Vases were broken into pieces, bolts of fabrics sprawled on the ground and the chickens in the carts were running away, too. The slave traders were frantic, and the boys were lost and separated in the chaos.

The boy climbed the wall and finally escaped from the slave traders.

.

A few days passed since his escape and the boy found himself roaming again in the streets. Winter was approaching the weather was turning cold. Light snow started falling. "This might be my last winter," he thought to himself.

Before the kidnapping, at least he could try to get some provisions to prepare for the winter, but he was at who knows where. "I am going to die," as he fell down on the side of the road from cold and hunger.

Yet, he was blessed with good luck. A passing wealthy woman took to kindness and the boy was taken in by a wealthy household, who, upon seeing his poor condition, nursed him back to health. He was then given a name, 'Xiao Foo', meaning small blessing.

Since the first fake kindness, Xiao Foo was vigilant around people. But the people who took him in as a stepson soon melted his heart again. He was given the best care, a warm bed, warm food. He enjoyed them and his guard was lowered, especially the madam who loved him very much.

However, he was proven right again.

A few days of rain, and a test from heaven came.

A flood that they had never seen before came running at them. No one was spared.

Houses were flooded, things were washed away, even the boy's heart.

The madam was with him when the flood came. She hugged him closely. "Come Xiao Foo, quickly, we need to get out of the house. Climb to the roof." For the first time, he felt that he was important.

However, the water level soon submerged the whole house, and they now floated in the water. "Don't worry, Xiao Foo. You are lucky. We will surely not die in this calamity. You are my lucky charm."

"Charm?"

"Good luck. Good boy," stated the woman as her eyes saw a boat that was coming towards her. "You really bring good fortune."

"Madam come, latch on," said the head servant as the boat neared them.

"Thank the heavens that you have found me," replied the woman.

"Only you, madam," said the man.

"Why?"

"We are already at full capacity. If you bring him and we attempt to leave together, the boat will sink," replied the head servant and the other servants too, appearing withered as they looked at the madam.

Xiao Foo stared at the madam but without a moment of hesitation, the woman let go of him.

"Xiao Foo, you are lucky. You will survive this," the woman said as she swam towards the boat. With the collective effort of others, she was safely pulled onto the boat, rescuing her from the perilous waters. Relief washed over her as she settled in, grateful for the servants who risked their lives to save hers. "All of you will surely be rewarded handsomely for your effort."

The servants were grateful for the reward she promised.

"Thank you, Madam," they all said in unison.

The boat started to row away.

Xiao Foo tenaciously swam after it, but the others ignored him, and pushed him away.

"Xiao Foo, you can't be selfish," said the head servant. "You will drown us all."

"Go away," hissed the madam.

He tried to climb onto the boat.

"You are the one who force our hands," said one of the servants as everyone ganged up and started to beat him.

Their brutal assault left him battered and bruised, his body a canvas of agony. The servants' cruel hands struck him without mercy, their blows raining down like torrential rain. The head servant, wielding a wicked paddle, delivered blows that seared with pain, leaving behind a trail of anguish.

Yet, amidst the physical torment, it was the pain in his heart that cut the deepest.