Dreams of a Flower Boy

Ian was sitting at the kitchen table with a large bouquet of roses sitting in front of him, attached to them was a card with the name Florian Flint written on it in golden calligraphy. "These are for me?" The young boy of eleven asked incredulously. He had never received flowers himself.

"Yes, please read the card!" His Aunt Rose, who had brought the flowers, encouraged.

He picked up the card and opened it to pull out another beautiful note also in gorgeous golden calligraphy. "Florian, on April 1st I will be marrying my soulmate and would love to have my whole family by my side. I want to take a moment and give everyone a special role for the big day, will you do me the honor of being my flower boy? Love Aunt Rose" Ian read the card out loud.

"Well what do you think?" His Aunt eagerly asked.

"What is a flower boy?" Ian asked his Aunt.

"Well you've heard of flower girls right?" She questioned.

"Yeah, they sprinkle flowers down the aisle." He mused.

"It's just like that, but it's a boy!" She grinned. "This way you and your Mom will stand beside me, I'll have my favorite people by my side!"

He didn't know what to think, the whole thing sounded very girly, what would people think of him throwing flowers around? He looked to his mom who a few months ago had received a similar bouquet of roses, she was smiling ear to ear at him. He didn't want to disappoint his Aunt after all and it felt like everyone else in his family was helping with the wedding in some way except him. "Okay, I guess I can do it." He said unsure of himself.

Both his Mom and Aunt started smiling and his Aunt gave him a hug, he felt even more unsure of himself now. "Great! So you can come with us to pick out outfits for the wedding then." His Mom insisted.

His Mom took the bouquet of roses and prepared them to go into a vase, a simple glass vase with etched flowers on it. "Here, take your roses up to your room since they are yours!" His mom said.

Ian carefully collected the vase and took it to his room. He looked around his messy room and tried to find a surface he could keep the vase on, finally settling for his bedside table. He rushed back downstairs to see his Mom and Aunt getting ready to leave.

"Where are you going?" He asked them.

"We are going to pick out wedding outfits, you're coming too since you're the flower boy." His Aunt told him with a sing-song voice making the boy blush.

"Oh, sure I guess that's fine." He told her and grabbed a jacket.

The car ride over to the store was filled with talk of what the colors for the wedding is, which turned out to be white and pink. Aunt Rose had also decided on a rose motif which made sense to Ian given her name. The car pulled up to a store called 'Gorgeous Gala', the windows were filled with mannequins wearing gowns in white.

The three made their way inside and were greeted by three other women, one of them seemed to be the store's attendant. "Welcome to Gorgeous Gala, I take it your party is now complete and we can begin?" Said the woman in a black dress with a name tag that read Fleur.

"Yes, Lily, Florian I want you to meet the bridesmaids Iris and Poppy." Aunt Rose told the group.

Poppy knelt down to Ian. "So you are joining us as our adorable flower boy?" She asked.

"Uh, yeah, I guess so." Ian said, not really sure of himself.

Iris giggled "It looks like we are a garden since we are all named after flowers, right Rose?" She told the group. The other three girls giggled with them and Ian was just confused.