Food

There was rustling, and it woke Xiao Foo up.

His survival instincts kicked him.

He wanted to escape.

He needed to escape.

He started crawling and using the last of his strength, pushed away a bush yet losing strength in his leg, he stumbled out instead.

That was what he remembered last before waking up again.

"You are finally awake?" said a woman.

Xiao Foo didn't reply but began to drool. He didn't want to. but he can't help it. His stomach began growling again. She laughed and then said, "Wait here."

He waited patiently. He had to—his leg was still injured.

He can't run nor hide.

"At least with another person there-. No, I shouldn't be grateful that there's another person. I want to die. My wish is to die," thought Xiao Foo to himself.

The woman came back with a bamboo container. She held out it out to him and suddenly, he remembered that he wanted to die and pushed away the water bottle.

"Leave me... I want to die."

"Your body wants to live," stated the woman. "Here—drink this." She dripped some of the water into his mouth. The cold water was quite refreshing and then despite his refusal, he was carried on her back and finally arrived at the town.

.

The place seemed homely, thought Xiao Foo as he drowsily woke up and took a look of the town. It was a simple town; in the outskirts, where most of the lands were occupied for farming. Rows of paddy were already harvested as chickens roamed around, scraping for a last meal under the glowing sunset before heading home while cows, and goats were herded back to their barns before nightfall.

The people too seemed kinder and more friendly.

"You are going to join the feast later?" asked the woman.

"Yes," replied passing townsfolk with a smile.

"See you there."

"Ay!"

Waving him a goodbye, they continued on their way. After passing a few more houses; they finally arrived. It seemed like the biggest house in the town.

The woman looked around for a quiet spot. She placed him near a tree, close to the kitchen and then she went in and took some steaming hot buns for him. But instead of giving him directly, the woman put it aside and took his hands instead. She began to pour water on them and wiped them down. "You can't eat when your hands are so dirty, you will get sick later."

Xiao Foo was hungry, but he didn't want to get beaten. He remembered how the servants at the madam's house would beat him if he didn't oblige.

Once his hands were presentable, the woman gave him the buns which the young boy took greedily.

"Slowly now ShiWu," said the woman.

"ShiWu?"

"That's your name. Do you like it? Because it's the fifteenth today. I can't keep calling you without a name."

He didn't reply. It wasn't like it was the first time he received a name. He was immune to it.

I wouldn't attach any feelings to it. From Xiao Foo to ShiWu. It wouldn't make any difference. It's just a label.

As he ate, the woman poured water on the wound on his leg. It stung but he didn't complain, since the food was distracting him from the pain. She carefully cleaned and neatly bandaged the wound. "This will do for now. Stay here. Be a good boy. After helping with the feast, I will check on you again."

"HeHuan!" someone called for the woman.

"Coming!"

Looking at ShiWu again, she smiled and told him, "Don't leave. I will bring more food for you later. And drink some of this water too, slowly." She handed him a bamboo bottle and left.

Xiao Foo—now named ShiWu—took a sip of the water. It tasted sweet as he looked at the back of the woman who saved him. A warm feeling swelled in his chest.

No. I must never lower my guard. She is like the others. I will not be lied to again.

.

The kitchen was very busy, even the children were put to work doing some simple tasks. They were preparing a feast to celebrate a bountiful harvest. Food and drinks of many kinds were made to give thanks to the deities and to the farmers who worked hard all throughout the year to make it happen.

HeHuan and Madam Lu, the main cooks for the feast were busying themselves with tasks: the cleaning, prepping, and cooking all was completed by the womenfolk. Flour was kneaded, noodles were made, meat was cut and stir fried. Preserved vegetables were taken out to be served with the others.

Madam Lu was sweating as she kept everything in order.

"Ah Huan, go and take these to Madam Si, make sure she cooks these well. Remind her not to overcook them like last time," ordered the woman in her forties. She had many children, and some of the older ones were helping in the kitchen, getting water from the well or supplies from storage or supporting the adults in their tasks.

Her large figure was both intimidating but respected by the others.

"Yes ma'am," replied HeHuan as she rushed off to another station.

ShiWu was amazed at the sight of the kitchen, he had never seen anything like it before. It was like fighting but in a good way. Like a war zone but in orderly fashion.

"No, that can't be served yet."

"Has the alcohol been poured out yet!?"

The shouts and yells just made everything very alive. Although there were plenty of food scraps, he had never gone to the back of a restaurant as they would always kick him away even if he dared to get closer.

It made him hungry again. His eyes caught HeHuan's.

HeHuan waved at him in response which Madam Lu saw. She proceeded to give her a bit of scolding, because she almost toppled the dish in her hand when she tried to wave at him.

It was the first time in a long time, the young boy remembered how to smile.