Chapter Four - Problem at Hand

Eventually the day was over and Nate was on his way home. Slowing to a stop at a red light, the ebony jumped slightly as his phone began to ring. Glancing down at the device, he smiled as he saw who was calling.

"Hey, babe" the ebony spoke as he answered the call

"Hey, where are you?" Matt spoke through the phone, it was clear he was irritated and that worried Nate.

"I'm on my way home now" he replied, "I'm about three blocks away. Why?" he asked, "is everything ok?"

"Just hurry home. There's someone here who wants to speak with you" Matt replied before a click was heard, indicating that he had hung up.

Putting the phone down, Nate was confused. Who wanted to speak with him? And why didn't Matt say who it was? Shaking away his thoughts, the ebony continued driving.

Turning onto the road where his house sat, Nate felt his heart drop as he saw a police car sitting in the driveway.

Pulling up behind Matt's car, Nate put the car in park before taking a deep breath to calm his nerves.

"It'll be ok" he told himself, "Just tell them nothing is happening" With one last deep breath, the ebony got out of the car and went inside.

Opening the door, Nate tossed his keys onto the entryway table before continuing further into the house, towards the living room. There, sitting on the couch, was a police officer. Both him and Matt stood up as Nate entered the room.

"Hello, Mr. Smith" The officer gave a nod of greeting, "I'm Officer Derek" He gave a small smile, "we got a call of domestic abuse in this household. Mind if I talk to you outside for a moment?"

Looking at Matt for a moment, Nate turned back to the officer, "sure" with that, both him and officer Derek went outside. Once the door was shut behind them, the officer turned to Nate.

"How did you get that black eye, Mr. Smith?"

Nate gave a smile, "I just tripped going up the stairs" he replied, "I promise nothing is going on" he added, "We both love each other and we care for each other"

The officer nodded, writing something down on his notepad, "He's not violent at all with you, is he?"

Nate shook his head, "no sir"

"He's never threatened to hurt you at all?"

"No sir"

"Alright" Officer Derek nodded as he finished writing something down, "that'll be all, thank you, Mr. Smith"

"Of course" Nate gave a smile, "I'm sorry you wasted a trip"

"Just doing my job" The officer smiled back before turning and walking back to his car. Nate watched him leave, not moving until the car was out of sight. Only then did he go back inside with a tiny sigh.

"What the hell was that?" Matt growled as Nate closed the door behind him.

"I swear I have no idea" Nate murmured.

"Who did you tell?"

"I.."

"WHO DID YOU FUCKEN TELL, NATHAN?!" Matt roared, causing Nate to flinch harshly.

"N-nobody" Nate replied, "I-I-I swear I didn't tell anybody"

Matt sighed, running a hand through his hair before speaking once more, "come here"

Nate was hesitant, but did as he was told nonetheless, walking over to the brunette. Matt gently grabbed Nate's hand before guiding him over to a door. Nate's eyes widened as he recognized where Matt was taking him, "No please" He begged, trying to free his hand from Matt's grasp, "I promise I didn't tell anyone"

Matt didn't say anything as he opened the door and walked Nate down a set of old wooden stairs. Nate's eyes filled with tears as he saw a small metal tub of water up ahead, "No.. N-NO PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!" He begged as he continued to struggle in the brunette's grip, "I–I-I'M SORRY!"

Matt's grip on the ebony's hand loosened as the brunette shoved him to his knees in front of the tub. He then grabbed Nate by the hair and forced the ebony's head underwater. Nate barely had time to take a breath before he was submerged.

The ebony immediately began struggling, his hands flailing about as he tried to free himself from Matt's grip. Water was quickly filling his lungs, bubbles coming out his nose and mouth as he struggled for air.

Suddenly, Matt brought his head up out of the water. Nate immediately coughed up the liquid before gasping for air.

"Are you going to run your mouth?" Matt asked. His voice was low and monotone. He clearly didn't care about what he was doing. If Nate didn't know any better, he'd say the brunette enjoyed seeing him suffer and in pain.

When Nate didn't answer him, the brunette pushed down on the ebony's head, forcing him underwater once more. Nate struggled to breathe, the need for air causing his lungs to burn.

This went on for what felt like an eternity for Nate. Matt eventually let go of Nate's hair, allowing the ebony to fall to the side as he gasped for air. Looking up at Matt, the ebony felt tears fill his eyes.

"P-please.." He croaked out, his voice quivering with fear, "I.. I'm sorry.."

"Do that again and I won't be so nice" Matt spoke, his eyes glaring daggers into the ebony. His shirt was soaked from all the struggling Nate had done. "You can stay down here for the night" He added with a shrug as if he were suggesting a place to eat. With that, the brunette walked off, heading back upstairs and leaving Nate to curl up into a ball on the cold cement floor.