Chapter One: In Which the Rings are Remembered

One day, Edmund Pevensie, Hannah Reide, Veronica Hendrix, and Elizabeth Bennett were walking down a country road in England.  It was a hot, sticky day, but the four enjoyed the walk nevertheless.  However, they had a destination; and that was the old mansion that was once owned by Professor Kirke.  Brooke Richardson, another very important person in this story, had bought the mansion and was currently living there.  That is why the four were visiting.

            "Oh Hannah!" exclaimed Elizabeth.  "Do you think that the wardrobe will take us to Narnia?"

            Narnia, a place that could only be entered by magic, was a different world—and not just like another planet, but another entire universe!  The first time someone from our world had ever entered Narnia, was, actually, Professor Kirke himself.  This happened, however, when he was very, very young.  He had gotten by two magic rings.  (Actually, he and a friend had entered together—but that friend doesn't come into this story much.)  But, after an thrilling, tiresome adventure had been had in Narnia—and in our world too—the professor decided to bury the two rings—actually there were four of them all together; two green ones (those were for getting into Narnia—or at least the Wood Between the Worlds) and yellow ones (the rings that were used for getting out of that world and into ours)—in his large back yard, under a tree.  No-one knew if they were still there or not.  In truth, everyone had sort of forgotten about them.  Even the professor had.

            "I highly doubt that," was the reply from Hannah.  "Remember?  The professor said that we can't get back through the wardrobe."

            "Oh, yes; I had nearly forgotten that," admitted Elizabeth with a heavy sigh of disappointment.

            "It is a shame at that." Edmund stated.

            "Yes.  Do you think we'll be able to get back at all to Narnia?  Ever?" Veronica wondered aloud. 

            "Possibly...  I have an idea..." Hannah confessed.

            "Really?  Oh, do tell!"

            "Yes, well.  Do you remember the rings that the professor told us about?  Yes, those.  Anyways, I think he said he buried them in his yard under a tree," explained Hannah.

            "Oh! so there is a possibly?" Elizabeth grinned at her cousin.

            "Yes—a slight chance,"

            "Good," Veronica sighed in relief.

            "But Hannah," Edmund began, "there must be many, many trees on the ground of the mansion.  We can't go digging under ever one, now can we?"

            "I don't think we'll have to.  Don't you remember?  Narnian trees look much different than ours?  It'll be very easy to find, I'm sure!" she replied confidently.

            "I suppose you're right," he admitted.  "But don't say anything too loudly.  Remember, the professor told us that the White Witch herself had gotten into this world a long time ago?  She very well could return!"

            "But, Ed, I thought she was banished and such?" Veronica said, turning her head.

            "She is—was!  Edmund, oh, do stop it." Hannah demanded.  She rubbed her arm nervously.

            "You're not afraid, are you?"

            "No.  I'm not," she looked down at the ground, still rubbing her arm slowly.

            "But, there is something wrong?" Elizabeth guessed. 

            "Uh, no.  Not really.  I'm fine.  Really," Hannah said with a half-smile.

            Just at that moment, heavy rain poured down on the four travelers.  They sighed, but thankfully they were a minute or so away from the mansion, and would soon seek shelter there.