Opposites Attract

a/n: it was supposed to be a joke. idk how it got this far.

- - - - -

Veronica was spacing out. She absentmindedly doodled on some scrap paper, very much distracted and thus unaware of her surroundings.

So, when the comment was uttered, she froze as her unprepared mind crashed back into reality.

"Oh my god—you're wearing so much makeup."

Not only was she unprepared, she was also confused. "Uh...sorry—?"

"I could never, but you look good, don't worry." The stranger grinned. By the time she had registered it, they had already moved away.

"Hey Veronica, did you do the assignment?"

She blinked. "Huh? Oh, yeah!—"

- - - - -

Veronica was decent at singing. Still, during this particular karaoke night, she had been pretty quiet. She hummed, watching as Patricia (that was apparently her name, the girl that stopped her the other day) sang. Sort of. Veronica was the only one not cringing.

...There was something about Patricia she liked. She wasn't sure what, though.

The song ended, and the next one started. Patricia perked up, as did Veronica.

"Omg I love this song!—"

"Isn't that Veronica's favourite song?"

With everyone looking her way, Veronica hesitantly picked up the mic and started singing.

Patricia immediately frowned... was she pouting? "Why does she always get to sing—"

'Maybe cause her voice doesn't make our ears bleed," Someone said dryly.

"Guys stopppp I can sing way better! In a quirky way too!"

Veronica couldn't help but chuckle, a far cry from the others snorting and rolling their eyes.

Why not indulge her? She stopped at the end of the lyric, passing the mic to Patricia.

- - - - -

Since that karaoke night, Patricia had been hanging around them more often. Veronica didn't mind much, but the others... didn't seem to share her opinion.

"Maybe because you're 'smol', maybe because you think you're cute, you're used to getting away with things."

Still, she hadn't anticipated this.

"But we want you to know your actions have an effect on others."

Veronica watched and listened through the open window. She had left the room just for a moment to go to the toilet, she hadn't thought...

"And I hate you!"

"And you're a horrible person."

Patricia was shrinking back. Shocked, or... hurt?

"And you not understanding that you are a horrible person doesn't make you less of a horrible person." Patricia seemed to be at a loss of words. Then she smiled, and the others groaned.

The smile was far too bright to be genuine, Veronica thought.

"You think I'm 'smol'?" Veronica heard Patricia's voice shake, ever so slightly.

Veronica wanted to get a hold of her during class, but she had quite some difficulty with that so she decided to try after class. She waited till the bell rang and everyone left in a hurry.

Well, almost everyone.

Patricia and Veronica remained alone in the classroom, the former determinedly avoiding eye contact as she bent down to retrieve her bag.

"Patricia, are you... okay?"

Patricia spun around, her nostrils flaring. "You—"

"I just want to help." Veronica offered a hand. Patricia didn't take it at first, but then she did, her grip so tight it was almost painful. "This is all your fault," She snapped. "Our friends— or your friends— never look at me. You're the one they look at."

"...Patricia—"

"Shut up. I'm leaving—"

"Patricia, I look at you."

She froze. Slowly, she turned, her lips quivering. Then she turned away and fled the classroom, leaving Veronica alone inside.

- - - - -

"I can't believe you agreed to this."

"How could I not?" Veronica laughed. The other sighed.

"Oi, it's almost my— I mean, our, turn! Hurry up!" Patricia brushed past her.

"There's something endearing about that girl," Veronica said quietly, ignoring the look of disbelief.

Then it was showtime. Veronica kept her gaze locked on Patricia as she began singing, so much so that she almost missed her cue. She didn't, though.

"Finally! WOOHOO VERONICA!"

She saw how Patricia blinked in surprise (again, was it hurt?) and silently apologised. Still, Patricia brightened as a group in the audience waved, and she let out a sigh of relief.

The duet's going smoothly, Veronica thought,

- - - - -

This time, it was Patricia that left the room to go to the toilet, Veronica waiting patiently.

"Pat's so annoying, we all hate her."

Veronica sighed. "Don't say that, she has some good qualities."

They snorted. "Like what?"

She smiled slightly. "The way she walks, the way she talks..."

"You're kidding, right?

"She's so sweet and nice... when she smiles, the look in her eyes, I could go on— "

"Please don't—"

Patricia stepped through the door and they had the decency to stop talking.

"Hey, Pat! You look great today!"

"..." Was she... blushing? "...Shut up, Veronica."

"Well, I'll see you later then," She smiled, patting her on the shoulder as she left.

"See you..." She murmured.

- - - - -

Even through her rose-tinted lens of Patricia, she could tell Patricia had been acting a lot nicer to her lately. And now that they found themselves alone together, she decided to ask her about it.

"Why are you acting... nicer? Are you trying to seduce me?" Once the joke had been spoken, Veronica realised how much she didn't want it to be a joke.

Patricia huffed. "I'm not trying to seduce you."

"Aww..."

Patricia looked back. Their gazes met.

"Would you like me to seduce you?" Her eyes shone, glittering in the fluorescent ceiling light.