Chapter 7: The Devastating Aftermath

"Friends pick us up when we fall down. And if they can't pick us up, they lie down and listen for a while."

🎶 SNAP

Love was a paradox, a contradiction in itself that no one could understand

Love was a paradox, a contradiction in itself that no one could understand. It was the light in the dark world but still had darkness within that could consume us whole. It was the essence of humanity without which we would cease to exist yet it destroyed us too. A blessing and a curse, for with immense pleasure came great pain, as was the law of the universe.

But if the outcome was worth the suffering----

No.

She had placed her heart on his open palm and he had crushed in like an insignificant piece of paper, And now, the creases would remain.

Inside the romantically decorated room, whose main theme was that of eternal love and happiness, Meera drowned in her misery.

Her sobs danced off the pale blue walls and her sadness was only witnessed by her innocent companion: her little stuffed bunny who stared at her with an almost life-like woeful gaze.

She took him in her arms and squeezed, seeking even a semblance of comfort.

Her lips pursed into a pout and with fat droplets of salty water rolling down her tinted cheeks, she sought answers from an inanimate toy in her arms.

"How could he do it?" she sniffed, "How could he belittle my feelings and hide his own?"

Meera thought of all the times Dev had treated her like she was someone special.

Like how he brought her ghungroos when he found that she liked dancing. Or how he always made her cookies because he knew she liked to have midnight snacks. When he dressed her wounds because she'd scratched her knees while playing with Bruno and her mother wasn't around. Or how he distracted her from the pain by playing cards with her and purposefully losing so she wouldn't cry.

He loved Alvira too but he didn't give her a potted tulip just because her balcony looked empty and she wanted more flowers. He didn't make her chocolate muffins instead of blueberry, that he made for everyone, because he remembered she didn't like blueberry. He didn't stay up late at night tutoring her because she had her math exam next day and didn't understand the concepts.

Ayaansh was his best friend but Meera was the only one who was allowed in the kitchen when he was cooking.

Was it her fault then, that she mistook his actions for something more than they were?