FIFTY-ONE

"this is so fucking lame

"this is so fucking lame."

"june, you hit him first."

"yeah, well... he deserved it."

yoshi sighed through the phone, and juniper could imagine him rubbing his forehead in an annoyed dad way. "it doesn't matter who deserved what. you assaulted him in public; of course, you're gonna get in trouble."

"wow. even your words sound dad-like. are you sure you aren't eric?"

"hey, don't take my roommate's name in vain."

after punching the random jerk in the face, juniper was temporarily banned from thursday's child (only temporarily because hyh stood up on her behalf). plus, the jerk didn't press charges because he found it hilarious that he only had a few bruises while june broke her hand.

huffing a sigh, the girl stole a glance at her red and swollen hand currently being held between karina's. "honestly, i don't think it's broken."

"well, it feels broke—ow!"

"sorry. just checking."

pulling her injured hand from karina's, june pulled her arms to her chest and let sunwoo take the phone from her. "yeah, whatever. we'll take her to the hospital if it keeps swelling. okay, bye." he hung up and tossed the device in june's lap before shoving his hands in his pockets. "we should probably get you back to your dorm. if eric finds you all busted up on his bed, he will literally beat me up."

june rolled her eyes. "sure. but i need to go home, anyway." she sat up, about to stand when the front door opened.

"okay, i wasn't sure what you wanted, so i got chicken and cheese—" eric's words faltered at the sight of his three friends crowded around his bed. his gaze darted between each and every one of them before falling on juniper and her sheepish smile.

eric raised a brow. "why do you look so guilty?"

"i'm not!" the accused defended quickly, throwing her hands up before remembering one was in throbbing pain, and bit her lips to conceal her wince.

unconvinced, eric placed his and sunwoo's dinner on the table and crossed both arms over his chest. "what's wrong with your hand?"

"uh..." juniper's mind went blank as imaginary options danced before her vision like a video game. a. tell the truth or b. lie.

b it is.

"well you see, i was walking home from the hyh concert when a bunch of drunks suddenly appeared and attacked me! i had to defend myself, right? so i punched one in the face and they all ran away." she wore a cheesy smile at the end, but eric's expression didn't change until his gaze flicked to his roommate. "did she start it?"

"yep."

juniper's head whipped toward sunwoo, her mouth falling open to protest, but nothing came out. "wh-well, n—hang on!"