The writer

The candle Cherry bought is almost burning to the end when her dad came in all wet it was raining heavily outside Cherry looked out the window still on her medicated glass wondering if her dad could make it out the night, she put dinner in the microwave once in a while taking a break from her writing to heat it so it could stay warm but gave up at past midnight.

"Hey, honey!!! You're still up" he said taking off his hat and putting it on a stand, Cherry and her father shared a one-bedroom in the downtown of Lagos state precisely Ajah area whereas dad worked around lekki-Ekpe express road towards Victoria Island garden as a loader offloading of goods and loading them in his old truck that barely works dad keeps taking it to the mechanic at least three times a week you can tell the mechanic is exhausted repairing dad old truck.

"Yes....finishing up my novel our English teacher asked us to write about" Dad already dashed into the kitchen taking out the dinner he put out the protein back inside the pot.

"Your great writer I'm sure is an A....what are you writing about," her dad asked his mouth full of rice, Cherry looked at her dad in pity she worked so hard yet is not even close enough.

"The island girl asked us to choose a theme so I think it makes sense-

"What do you mean island you haven't been to an island before so how can you tell a story that you have no idea about why not write about politics, war or some community movement something meaningful" Cherry shuffled her books into her backpack without furthering the conversation.

"I'm sorry" he tried to apologise but Cherry is already into the bedcovers they switch turns to use the bed but her father prefer the tacky worn-out couch and let Cherry have the bed.

"I'm just suggesting Cherry you don't have to take my opinion personally-

"Dad is fine I have school tomorrow so please let it go" Cherry knew her dad wasn't satisfied he knew she was a good writer but whatever going on in the world does not matter to her, she was not a blogger or a media news reporter, so many times she had made him understand writhing cool stories Is the only thing that interests her nothing more.

"Good night, and I love you" The candle was down and Dad put out his phone light while he said those words Cherry felt teary seeing how much her dad's struggles hurt her so much, yes he was doing it for her so he can graduate high school then get into any community university.

Cherry has this wild imagination about getting out of poverty with her writings, she sometimes told her dad what is going to happen one day her writing is going to get them to live in a big mansion like the Kardashian.

Cherry woke up Dad was already gone putting a few notes on the kitchen counter for breakfast no one has the time to prepare breakfast since Mom died things have changed especially with Dad he still grieves whereas Cherry thinks and fantasizes.

Cherry get out of bed covers that morning first thing and put water on the gas stove because they didn't have a heater in their house after they run a quick washing of the dishes before sweeping and putting the living room in order.

The water was ready so she mixed it with a full bucket of water in the bathroom, while she allows it cools she brushed her teeth packing her hair into the customized bonnet her best friend Samantha gave to her on her seventeen birthday.