Nosey Bastard

Fjord would never say it out loud, but Kingsley was getting on his last damn nerve. Ever since setting out to sea, their new friend formerly known as Mollymauk was practically glued to his side any given minute of the day. At first Fjord welcomed the company, was even flattered by it. But it seemed every time he tried to have an important conversation with someone other than the purple tiefling, he would interrupt or insert himself into the discussion. Fjord knew he was just trying to be helpful, but he needed to realize not every problem concerned him.

He had been discussing the trajectory of their current course with Orly when Kingsley walked up, absorbing every word exchanged. Fjord was already self conscious about his knowledge on the open seas, so he really didn't need an extra pair of ears listening to his stutter through and second guess himself. It eventually got so distracting, Fjord interrupted himself in the middle of a sentence.

"I'm sorry, but is there anything in particular you need?" he asked, cocking his head. He made sure to keep his tone light so Kingsley wouldn't think he was upset with him.

He hummed as he thought to himself for a moment, shaking his head. "No, but you looked like you could use the company," he quipped. Fjord had to chuckle at that, shaking his head out of fond annoyance.

"I appreciate the concern, but Orly and I can handle this." When Kingsley still lingered, Fjord took it as a sign that he needed a more direct hint. "Why don't you help Marius clan the canons? I'm sure he'd appreciate the company," he offered.

Kingsley let out an annoyed sigh and turned to leave. "Sure thing captain."

Fjord took a deep breath, rubbing at his temple. Orly watched the tiefling walk down the stair before looking back at Fjord.

"Don't worry Cap'n. Once he settles in he won't be this clingy," he spoke in his gruff, slow manner of speech that Fjord was accustomed to. His gaze was locked on Kingsley as he slipped through the door that lead below deck.

"I hope so."

Either Orly had been wrong, or Kingsley still wasn't fully settled. The thought upset Fjord; he tried to do everything he could to make him feel accepted and comfortable on the ship. He knew the other man appreciated his efforts, but he could tell something was missing. He couldn't imagine how he must feel, so he extended as much of his patience as possible.

Kingsley must have caught on, because he'd been testing said patience at any given opportunity. He especially loved interrupting any intimate moment between Fjord and Jester. Ever time, it seems, that the two of them were able to whisk themselves away, Kingsley would find them minutes later and wedge himself into the conversation. Jester was more than welcoming, but Fjord just wanted some alone time with his girlfriend.

They were in his quarters, laying on his bed facing each other. Even though they were alone, they spoke in hushed voices, all whispers and giggles like lovesick teens. They were huddled close to one another, Fjord's arm draped over her shoulder as she rested her head on his expansive chest.

She was in the middle of recounting her trip to shore, describing the mural she saw in vivid detail. "Oh, you should have seen it Fjord! Someone painted the cover of Tusk Love on the back of the book store, and it was stunning! Guinevere's dress was all ripped and flowing in the wind, and Oskar's muscles were huge! The attention to detail was, like, super good, I could literally see the sweat on his chest and everything," she gushed, appreciating both the artistry and her beloved characters.

Fjord smiled at her endearing enthusiasm, rubbing a hand up and down her arm comfortingly. "In that case I'm glad I stayed on the ship. But I'm glad you got to see it," he said softly. She grinned up at him, snuggling closer.