Chapter One

Jacob came in early in the morning. He was very exited to see how Gregory would react once he told him what he was planning to do. He was also very nervous because he didn't know how he would be received. He had never done anything like this before and he was afraid it might not work out.

He couldn't stop thinking about Gregory as he waited outside the entrance. After a while, he noticed Gregory coming towards him and smiling. Jacob felt relieved when he saw the smile. And then he heard Gregory's voice.

"Your beard looks beautiful today, Jacob." Gregory complimented him.

"Thank you. How do you like my new job?"

"I love it. It's amazing how you managed to find a way to combine two of your passions: history and music. You've shown me so much about both subjects." Gregory smiled.

"Me too. Thank you for being here. I wouldn't be able to do it without you."

"There is nothing for you to thank me for. I am here because I want to be." Gregory hugged him.

"I wanted to tell you that... I love you." Jacob said with a trembling voice.

"And I love you too, my sweet boy." Gregory replied.

"But there is something else."

"Yes?" Gregory asked. He was waiting for that moment.

"I don't want to lose you."

"I won't let you!" Gregory laughed.

"No, seriously. I want to be part of your life forever."

"You already are." Gregory hugged him again. Then he stopped and took out his wallet. "Here you go. Your first paycheck."

"Oh... thank you!" Jacob smiled.

"Now come, there is someone I want you to meet." Gregory took his hand and led him into the building.

In front of them was a woman sitting at the table. She looked tired and her hair was unkempt. "This is our new employee, Jacob," Gregory introduced.

"Hello, Mrs. Matuszewska." Jacob said.

"Hi, boy." Her tone was full of sarcasm, which made Jacob feel uneasy.

"I see you are not very enthusiastic about your job." Gregory commented.

"No, not really."

"Do you mind telling us why?" Gregory asked.Mrs. Matuszewska sighed and put her head in her hands, before she spoke. "I'm sorry. I have no choice."

"Why is that?" Gregory asked.

"Because I'm dying."

"That's terrible."

"I know. But I have to do it."

"And you agreed to do it here?" Gregory asked.

"Yes. At least I thought I did. But now I'm starting to doubt myself."

"What do you mean?" Jacob asked.

"It's horrible. I have to take care of disabled people for the rest of my life. All of them have severe diseases and their lives are going to be short."

"So you don't want to do it anymore?" Gregory asked.

"No, I do. I just... I have doubts."

"Doubts?" Gregory repeated.

"Yes. Can I go to the bathroom?"

"Sure." Gregory nodded.

"Wait for me here. I will return shortly." Mrs. Matuszewska left the room and went downstairs.

"I still don't understand what exactly you are doing." Jacob said.

"Let me explain it to you." Gregory sat down on the bed and began talking. "First, you and I are going to talk to Mr. Wojciechowski. He is the director of the institution where you will be working. We are going to tell him that you are a talented musician and ask him if you can give concerts for the children. If he agrees, we are going to change the name of the place from the 'Children's Home' to the 'Music School'. The reason for the change is simple: it sounds more positive than the other one. Also, we will make the sign above the door that reads 'Kosciuszko Foundation for the Disabled Children' or something similar. Once we have that set up, we can begin."

"How many children do you think we can help?" Jacob asked.

"As many as we can. And we will start by helping the ones that are here right now." Gregory explained. "If there is enough demand for music lessons, we will start taking volunteers from the outside. That way we can expand as soon as possible."

"And then?" Jacob asked.

"Then we will continue helping people until there is no one left."

"Until there is no one left..." Jacob repeated slowly.

"Yes. And once there is no one left, we'll keep helping people until it stops being necessary." Gregory smiled.

"I think I understand now," Jacob said. "But I'm scared."

"Of course you are. But don't worry. I will be here with you every step of the way." Gregory gave him a hug. Then he turned to Mrs. Matuszewska coming back from toilet. "When do you want to start with the music classes?"

"Tomorrow?" Mrs. Matuszewska asked with hope in her eyes.

"Yes, tomorrow. I will take care of everything so that you have time to prepare."

"Thank you! Thank you!" Mrs. Matuszewska cried.

"We can finish here if you want," Gregory suggested.

"No. Please, let me stay here for a while." Mrs. Matuszewska said with determination in her voice.

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow then." Gregory smiled. "I'm going to leave now, so that we can get ready for the concert tomorrow."

"Will you be here?" Jacob asked.

"Of course! Don't worry." Gregory assured him.