Sugar Rush

September 20th, on a chilly evening. Business has been good, so far. Aside from the occasional days where two kids in costumes come in, or a stout one runs out with pockets full of stolen candy. Other than that, everything was fine. Kevin walked out from the back room of the store, after a break, to lean back onto the counter and wait. It was usually slower in the evenings, so he didn't expect much. He almost felt himself fall asleep before the bell rang, signaling an open door and the very loud greeting that startled him back to his senses.

He was met with the sight of a man about his age it seemed, with slick hair in the front and somewhat sharp teeth. Fangs, maybe? Though that wouldn't make sense. . Halloween was next month. Whatever the case, Kevin forced a smile, even though he was mildly irritated by being spooked. He noticed, however, on top of this appearance, the intentionally drawn circles around this man's eyes, and that he had a cape on.

" . . Halloween is next month, y'know. " Kevin spoke aloud, not realizing this was meant to be an inside thought.

The man faltered as he approached the counter, then grinned sheepishly.

" I know, I just want to prepare early this year! Halloween is my favorite holiday. I was thinking maybe superhero. . ? "

Kevin watched as the man pulled at his cape, in thought. This continued for about a moment, as the former had expected him to make his candy order. As a result, Kevin had to clear his throat to get the man's attention. And he made no effort to hide his very blatantly annoyed look. For a calm and usually uneventful evening, the cheery attitude that woke him up was coming to be a bit bothersome.

" I'm guessing you're here for candy? "

" Right, right! " The man said. And proceeded to make his order. Which was a very large order that consisted of four bags of candy, one of just chocolate bars and taffy. He explained in great detail that while he would have gotten his favorites, the rest happened to be the most liked of some friends he had. Scare actors, at that. The Halloween obsessed man went on and on about how he liked attending these small halloween events, though wanted to be a part of a big haunted house.

Thanks to Kevin's workload, he was forced to be tortured listening to this long, drab story. Frankly, he already disliked this person. Which isn't saying much, considering he had a tendency to dislike anybody.

" Here you go, sir. . " Kevin sighed as he handed each bag to him. Everything being so meticulous, it made it very easy to remember at least a quarter of what he grabbed.

" Thank you! " He replied after paying, of course. " What did you say your name was again? "

" Kevin. "

" I'll see you soon then, Kevin! " With that farewell, the man was gone. As a result, Kevin groaning as he slumped onto the counter, hoping he doesn't see him again. The least he could be was appreciative for the man's patience. . But tall orders were usually irritating. And there was a chance he'd make it again.

꧁꧂

October 7th, another evening. Calm, and not much had happened ever since the morning. Kids, and a few parents prepping candy early, per usual. Halloween buzz was just beginning in the town. And of course the few panicked warnings that came as always, and just as often, were ignored. This included Kevin. Why would he pay mind to the idea of drugged candy and murderers on the street?

. . Oh right, because he had actually received "sugar" June. At the thought, he shivered and laid his forehead on the counter. It didn't make sense, since it wasn't Halloween, but he expected to see those kids on that exact holiday and the idea made him scowl. He brought a chair out with him this time, but even then, the "sugar" memory alone left him feeling miserable. Being at the wrong end of a gun was worse than the idea of having to pack his fudge in jail, and he dreaded the moment he saw those kids again.