𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑟𝑡𝑦 𝑡𝑤𝑜- 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑑𝑟𝑖𝑣𝑒 ℎ𝑜𝑚𝑒

Nancy's car had a lot more room in it than Steve's had. Technically, it belonged to the family, but more often than not, their eldest daughter could be seen cruising around in it. Robin had walked herself carefully to the passenger seat, trying her best to ignore the nagging feelings and attempting to stay calm. She turned to Nancy as the car started rolling.

"Well, I didn't think I'd be seeing you this soon after the call the other day."

The driver peered across for a moment, lips pursed.
"Neither did I, to be honest. Glad I came across, though- since you needed help, anyway."

Robin huffed slightly.
"Yeah- thanks for driving me, by the way. I tried to stay there as long as I could."

"No worries. Time of the month?"

"Sadly."

"Assumed so."

Buckley nodded slowly, eyes directing to the bag in the footwell and fingers twisting with one of her studded earrings.
"How come you stopped by?"

She was referring to the surprise visit at the store. If anyone wanted anything to rent in that household, it was normally the job of the only son- so, to see the eldest daughter came as a bit of a shock.

"Oh- well, you said to remind you about the next arrangements if I hadn't heard them by yesterday. Figured it'd be easier to speak to you both in person while you were at work."

"Oh, shit." The passenger replied, biting down hard on her tongue. "I completely forgot about that. Was a bit distracted yesterday, for some reason."

Nancy smiled, turning the wheel as they drove down another road.
"No worries- is anything confirmed?"

"Nope. Not yet. I'll give him a call tonight, though, to see if he's got any ideas."

"Sounds good."

Robin's road was fast approaching. The neighbourhood became shorter, distance from car to house homing in. The two of them had made it the whole way back with absolutely no hard feelings. It was peaceful. It was bliss.

The car rumbled onto the driveway, and Robin wondered whether Nancy had even visited before. There had been no reason to, of course, but it was odd that the party hadn't dragged her along in some way or another. Wheeler soon finished her ritual of powering down the station wagon, and Buckley smiled, reaching down for her bag and unbuckling the seatbelt.

"Thank you." She spoke, nodding as her hand reached over to the handle.

"Anytime."

Then came a pause. The two of them stared for a moment without a word.

"Do you want to come in?"

Robin didn't know whether she had asked through politeness, or because the words 'thank you' didn't seem like enough. Nancy pursed her lips again, hands on the wheel. She then let her jaw tilt open with a flustered shake of the head.

"Oh- uh, I... don't think I can- thanks, though."

Buckley nodded.
"Okay- maybe another time."

"Yeah- sounds good. Let me know about the plans."

"Will do."

And with that, Robin exited the vehicle and pushed the door shut.

The air outside was immediately warmer than Nancy's A.C'd car, and it hit her like a wave. She stumbled around in her pockets for the house keys as Wheeler backed herself out of the drive, and Robin put her hand up in motion as the woman turned to steer away. Once she had found the keys, and had been replied to in the same manner, Buckley pushed open the front door and headed inside.