SMOKE RINGS

After racing up a flight of stairs, I arrived in front of the hospital panting.

"D-did... Uh... Dr.Hunt come?"

Oh yes hun, he did that last night.

My conscience reminded me and I shook my head violently to prevent blushing.

"Uh... Yeah, he just went in" The security guy replied.

"Fuck..." I sucked in my breath and tried to walk to the hallway as calmly as possible.

"Hey, Tracy!" Sawyer jogged over to me, "There is a surgery in 10 minutes for an eight-year-old, Susan will fill you in the rest. Go get ready, quick"

"Wait, who's leading...?"

"Dr.Hunt of course" He smiled and jogged off.

"You've to be kidding me..." I muttered and hurried off to change.

As I entered the theater, I saw Dr.Hunt talking to the patient as the anesthetist did his job. He glanced at me as soon as I entered and we both looked away at the same time.

Well, this wasn't awkward.

As the surgery proceeded, I had the duty of handing tools to the doc and wiping the fucking sweat off his face.

He didn't really look at me anymore— Hallelujah— and proceeded with the operation. But still, the tension was so thick it could be cut with a knife.

By the time the operation was done, I went out through the back of the hospital and sat on the stairs to smoke. This was my safe haven.

Kajal— the black one-eyed cat— purred around my legs as I scratched her head.

"How the hell will I look at his face, aaargh"

I groaned while rubbing my eyes.

"Meow?"

"No you don't get it, we are together almost all the time at work. He's basically like my mentor... Like those annoying college professors who never leave the chance to bug you"

"Meow"

"I still can't believe I fucked that old man..." I muttered.

"Meow?"

"Fine... Maybe... He's not that old... He's like what... Uh... Thirty-five? Thirty-six? Anyway none of that crap matters cause I'm just twenty four. He's fucking old"

"Meow..." Kajal licked her feet.

"I swear it was just a party at the Medic HQ... And I might have gone overboard with the drinks 'cause all of us new trainees were playing like a dirty t/d almost like teenagers and one of the guys asked what type of guys I'm into and I had nothing to say 'cause I've never officially dated any dork... I was so drunk that I went to the garden with a bottle of beer and surprise surprise, I find Kolbe Hunt staring at the fountain smoking and-"

"Jesus Christ, you'll make the cats ears bleed!"

I heard a familiar husky voice behind me and I jumped.

"I had a goddamn cardiac arrest!"

Then he might give me CPR, which means his lips will be on mine, which means his hands will be squeezing my-

"Tracy" He cleared his throat, "I just wanted to say-"

"Please don't make it anymore awkward than it is... I mean we can just forget about whatever happened last night and simply move on..."

He stared at me puzzled.

I felt my last brain cells explode.

"I mean, none of the heads I had can be compared to yours. It was fucking amazing. It's not like I don't want to forget, I can't... Besides, you did look like you enjoyed everything..."