Prologue: the end of one journey, the beginning of another.

To start our story first we need to see what happens to lead Aether to become our protagonist, and to do that we start at Aethers unexpected death.

"AETHER, AETHER!!!" Piamon screams as she sees Aether get stabbed through the heart by a rouge ice shard launched by an abyss mage while he wasn't paying attention to it, the shard flew straight through his heart and stuck into the rock wall of the canyon behind him. The last thing he said as he dies is a weak and quiet "I'm sorry, everyone. This is my last day with you all."

As he hits the ground and everything goes black, when he next opens his eyes he sees that he's in a white room with a man coughing up blood and looking as if he's been waiting for him judging by the look on his face, then the man says
"So we finally meet each other and it only took me being on deaths doorstep and you dying for it to happen."
As the man chuckles a little before coughing up more blood and wheezing slightly, Aether still confused asks who the man is and where are they, the reply the man gave him shocked him to his core.
"We are in a place of my own creation called the imaginary realm, a place that links the imaginary tree,the silver sea and the sea of quanta with the rest of existence. I am the one keeping it in one piece, as for my name, Aether, that is no longer important. What is important is your choice. Aether, would you like to become my successor the new god of shapeshifting, the new guardian of the imaginary realm and the new Hersscher of Fate or would you rather wait for the world of teyvat to forget about you and for your sister to rip it apart in anger at your death." Hearing about what his death might cause makes his decision almost immediate as he practically yells,

"I'LL DO IT, I'LL BE YOUR SUCCESSOR JUST PLEASE LET ME SAVE MY FRIENDS!!!"

The man smiled and told Aether that he would be sending him back to the day he met Paimon, and that when he activates the first statue of the seven that he activated at the beginning of his journey he would gain access to BOTH Anemo AND his new powers. After saying that and saying goodbye to Aether the old god dies and Aether sees a VERY bright flash of light before waking up on the beach he saved Paimon on and fishing her out of the water, from there till the nearest statue of the seven every thing goes the same, but that is where we shall leave it off for right now and in the next chapter aether will gain his new powers.