Chapter 1 - An Unfortunate Misunderstanding

Betas: SomberFilledWithSullen (Ao3), Nature Wolf (Ao3), Rescue Wolf (Ffn) GoldWolf4 (Wattpad),

Thank you to SeasOfSilver on the "Lovesquare obsessed" server for their help with chapter 3!

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by (c) Thomas Astruc, TS1 Bouygues, Disney Channel, Zagtoon, and Toei Animation. No money is being made, and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

WARNING: THIS STORY IS SET AND THOUGHT TO TAKE PLACE AFTER S5 EP9 ELATION. IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE EPISODE, YOU CAN STILL READ THE STORY, BUT IT MAY MAKE LESS SENSE, AND IT MAY GIVE YOU A SPOILER OR TWO. SO PLEASE DO WATCH ELATION FIRST. IT'S SUCH A GREAT EPISODE; YOU MUST WATCH IT!

oOoOoOoOoOo

Chapter 1 — An Unfortunate Misunderstanding

oOoOoOoOoOo

"Happy Christmas, Minou!" Ladybug smiled as she opened her yoyo and, in pure Mary Poppins fashion, she managed to take out of it a medium-sized present all wrapped up in Christmas paper.

Chat Noir's eyes widened. "How did you manage to do that, LB? I understand keeping the Miraculous in there, but something as big as that? It must be three times the size of your yoyo." He kept looking at it as if the present would disappear if he dared touch it. "Mh, maybe more than three times."

"It's much bigger inside, as Bunnyx would say." Then she looked at him expectantly, but Chat Noir kept darting his gaze between the yoyo and the gift. She sighed. "You know, Chaton, it won't bite you if you touch it." With a swift gesture, she placed it in his lap and smiled softly at him. "Open it, come on!"

The boy kept looking at the present with his eyes wide. Then, he turned towards her and cringe-smiled. "Last year, you said we shouldn't exchange presents, so I didn't bother to get you one this year." He looked at the present with a frown, the top part of his mask furrowing and adding to his gloomy overall appearance. "And I should have."

Ladybug put a hand on his thigh. "Nah, don't worry, Chaton. You're right; I did tell you not to exchange Christmas presents last year, but—well, I think we only need to make sure nobody sees it."

"So that means that I can buy you a present too?" He squealed when Ladybug nodded. "Okay, thanks! Luckily it's still not Christmas eve; I have—" He counted on his clawed fingers "—ten whole days to get you something." He shot her a happy grin. "Now...are you sure you want me to open it now? It's still ten days to Christmas!"

"Uh-huh. I need to check if it's okay."

Her smile was very stiff, which felt suspicious to him, but he shrugged it away, too excited to open his gift. He carefully took off the gold ribbon from around the paper and then tore the Christmas wrapping, revealing an exquisite jacket, perfectly lined and looking very warm and cosy.

"This is gorgeous, M'lady; thank you so much!" He spent some time admiring the patchwork, the finish, the little cat decorations on the buttons and the straps, and how it was all colour-coordinated with his signature colours. "It's purr-fection!"

Ladybug gifted him an extra present by literally beaming at his praise. "Did you notice the little paw-prints as buttons?"

"Uh-huh, I did! And the cat-heads on the strings. Where did you get it?" he asked mindlessly, too busy checking all the handiwork to look at her.

She looked at her thighs. "I mad—uh, commissioned it."

Chat Noir's ears perked up. "You made it?" He turned to look at her and saw the flash of panic in her eyes but chose to ignore it. "Wow, you're so talented!"