Chapter One

Arianna Mateo

My nostrils are filled with the deathly odour of decaying bodies, which would cause any normal person to choke or hold their breath. But I'm not. My unfortunate friend is the stench of death. It never fails to make an appearance and follow me around. The fact that my very own comrades are the five bodies on the ground in front of me infuriates me. Red Devils are atrocious scoundrels, and this particular Devil killed five of the individuals I care about all by himself. Lightning-like bursts of rage rips through me, igniting ideas of lucrative revenge and arming me for what's coming. For what needs to be done.

Briefly, I close my eyes as I lift my head to the sky. I take a deep, piercing breath in and let it out as I'm simmering with rage, mourning those who gave their lives to save mine. Their sacrifice won't be in vain. It is undoubtedly a heavy burden to carry to be responsible for people's lives. One too much for a 17 year old but as fate would have it, in the world I was brought up in, I have no choice but to keep marching forward with my head held high and "in control" of my emotions and responsibilities for my people.

In exchange for our members' service and loyalty, they rely on us to give them and their families security from the real enemies. I must have their families informed and their bodies taken care of immediately, but, right now, time is a luxury I do not have. Time is running out and allowing the person that did this to escape simply isn't an option.

My comrades serve my father, Marco Tesina Mateo, also famously known as Papa T. He's the leader of the Italian Angels, which happens to be the largest criminal organisation in the world, and I also happen to be their heir, destined to take over when I turn 21. I am known by many names. My comrades call me 'Red Jacket'. The underground refers to me as 'Night Fury'. But my real name? Arianna Marco Mateo.

My hatred towards the Red Devils is nothing like anything I have ever experienced. I will relish every moment of making them answer for what they did to me. What they've done to all of us. Many years ago, without warning or justification, they took away the 3 most beloved members of my family. I'll make sure that every single one of them is held accountable. It's a constant bloodbath of a battle, a battle I'm seriously getting tired of. How much longer do we need to play this game? It seems the only way to stop them is to end them.

I frown, unable to spare a second longer to grieve the loss of my friends. I pay my respects the Italian Angels way.

"May you rest peacefully knowing that you have completed your duty, my friends." I stand up straight and tall, my feet and legs pressed together with my arms tightly against my sides. I raise my right fist to my heart then do the same with the left, letting it rest on the opposite side of my chest, forming an 'x' with my arms. I link my thumbs together and stretch my hands forward, flexing my fingers as if making a bird hand shadow. This is supposed to symbolise being a member of the Italian Angels. As I pull my hands back to my chest in the same x cross I had a second ago, I clench them into fists again, slightly raise both hands up so that my fists stop just at my shoulders and I snap my arms down across my body and then put them both tightly at my sides.

"The Italian Angels wish you well," I say and I take my leave to look for their murderer. I can still feel his presence, so he can't be too far away.

Within one of the Italian Angel branches, specifically the south-side base, there hung a large painting on the wall. Once I make my way over, I take it down and my eyes light up at the display in front of me. They have everything I need. Perfect.

Five knives, four guns, three swords, a two hour time frame and a Red Devil to annihilate. Sounds simple enough.

I take everything but leave the swords. I don't need them for this particular assignment. I'm partial to reserving them for the torture chambers. I secure the guns and knives in their designated place in my black protective suit under my signature Red Jacket. The weapons fit snugly in the multitude of pockets adorning the suit. There's an easily accessible weapon for any such scenario I may find myself facing. I decided against carrying extra ammo. Where any weapons fail, I will make up for in power.