01 - mortified

THE END ?

You know, after all that happened last semester, you would've thought I'd settled down for the rest of my time at Nevermore. But really, it's just unfortunate that it's over.

Of course it's not over.

"Everyone, please welcome our new headmistress, Principal Diya! Principal, we hope you enjoy your time here at Nevermore Academy!"

People applauded. I didn't. I didn't see why anyone would want to work here.

"Wednesday!" a voice exclaimed. I whipped around to see my best friend. She looked sickly and vibrant—as always.

"Hello Enid. You've come back. Unfortunately." I added.

"Yes! I missed you too, bestie! Omigosh, omigosh! I haven't seen you in literally so long. I think I was going crazy without you! And sooo much happened! Me and Ajax are official now—"

"'Ajax and I'."

"—and I'm really sorry about Tyler by the way, but did you hear Eugene is coming back this year?"

"Don't be." I said shortly. I didn't want to talk about or to Tyler ever again. And I knew Eugene was coming back—I'd visited him a week before. Enid seemed to sense my unchanging mood, because she bumped me on the shoulder cheerfully.

"Hey, you know, if you're over Tyler... Xavier has been obsessing over you for the past break. It's really sweet. Creepy, a bit, but sweet."

I turned my head sharply.

"No."

"Oh, come on, Wednesday." Enid sighed. "He drew a portrait of you, a painting of you playing the cello, gave you a phone, you unapologetically sent him to jail—"

"How do you know about the drawing?"

"Thing told me. His portrait of you was reaaaally sweet. You don't have to block him out so much, you know."

I glared at Thing for his oversharing. I always thought I would be the first of the friend group to go mad—turns out now it was Enid.

"I know you're not the most expressive person, Wednesday, but—"

"Right."

"No, I was going to say give Xavier a chance!"

"He set you up to this, didn't he?" I asked while fast-walking out of the courtyard. Thing cowered into my backpack.

"He did not!"

"Then Ajax did as a favor to him."

"Wednesday!" Enid exclaimed exasperatedly, barely keeping up with my pace.

I didn't answer, instead heading back to Ophelia Hall.

"Come on!" Enid complained. I stopped abruptly to death-stare her.

"Tell Ajax I'm not interested."

"Tell Ajax?"

"About Xavier."

I continued walking. Enid threw her hands up with frustration as she watched me leave.

"But he really likes you!" she called in a last-second attempt to get me to stay.

I felt like stopping and going back to interrogate her but decided against it. That was Xavier's problem.

I pitied him for settling on me. Still do.

"You're not to say a word, understand?" I grumbled to Thing.

I think Enid's right, he signed on my shoulder.