vii. hunting season

chapter seven: hunting season( trigger warning: violent content

( trigger warning: violent content. )

   A bee sting.

Charlotte Wentworth never knew such a small thing could create such a stir. But, alas, there she was. Sitting along her bay window the morning after she was stung by a bee in the gardens of the Bridgerton home. The morning after his hands held onto her. The morning after his forehead melted into hers. The morning after her nose brushed against hers so delicately. The morning after her lips were so close to his she could feel his breath wafting her face.

   And to think, that all came from a bee sting.

   Charlotte was drastically quiet and kept to herself for the rest of the evening after the incident, claiming to her siblings she had been stung by a bee and was admittedly a bit shaken up by the whole ordeal. She retired from dinner early and spent the time up until it was time to go to sleep in the library to somehow distract her mind from her thoughts which were consumed by everything she wanted to forget.

Even as the next morning crept, Charlotte caressed the side of her collarbone where the bee stung her skin as she watched the gardeners start their work on the grounds for the day. She was so entrapped with what was happening outside her window, she did not notice her sister coming toward her with a look of concern, and maybe even a bit of apprehension.

   "Lottie," Amelia's soft voice called to her, "is it the sting?"

   Charlotte sat up from her position, "what? Whatever do you mean?"

   "Is it still bothering you? It seems ever since the awful creature pricked you, you've been keeping to yourself."

   Accepting the cup of tea her sister gave her, Charlotte chuckled in denial, standing from her seat to get herself ready for the day, "no. No, not at all, Lia. And, uh, how are you? Are you... are you still feeling upset by the viscount's lack of action?"

   Amelia sighed, "his mind seems elsewhere lately. I thought I'd be announcing an engagement at tomorrow night's ball."

   "We return to Mayfair in a few days," Charlotte grabbed her sister's hand in reassurance, "where there will be many other suitors, as I told you."

   "Suitors who will only suspect that there is something lacking in me when they discover the viscount is no longer interested," Amelia exclaimed before grasping her sister's fullest attention, "he is the one I want, Lottie. The viscount. His family, this home, the life he offers me. I've been thinking, and... I am now quite certain I know why he has not yet made his declaration. It is because of you. You hate one another."

   It was only when Amelia left her sight to go to her own wardrobe did Charlotte let out a long exhale, "uh, hate is probably too strong a word."

   Amelia continued her rant while she paced as Charlotte sat in front of her, "it is clear from your exchanges with the viscount he shared your feelings. All this time, I thought I needed your help getting him to fall in love with me. But I have realized what I need is your help getting him to fall in love with you."