ix. nobody likes a secret

chapter nine: nobody likes a secret

   It was all getting too much.

   Too, too much.

   The wedding of the century was what they were all calling it. Wherever Charlotte Wentworth went, it was all she heard. How lovely her sister and Viscount Bridgerton looked together. How they all knew from the start the two were meant to be. How excited they were for the wedding. And every time someone would pass her on the street and congratulate the sister of the bride, Charlotte was forced to take it tongue in cheek. Meanwhile she was trying her hardest not to vomit.

   Everything that could have gone wrong within the last 48 hours had gone wrong for the young woman. Her sister was now officially getting married to the man she had complicated feelings for, she was lying to everyone she knew about a plethora of things, and she still had to look over her shoulder to make sure William was not standing over her with a weapon of his choosing to either kill her or bring her back to France against her will.

Oh, and did she mention she was now going through her monthly courses?

   Wringing her hands together, Charlotte continued to pace back and forth uncontrollably outside the room where her siblings currently resided in, along with Lady Danbury and the Queen. She was one room away from Queen Charlotte. The woman she was named after. Her sister was the diamond of the season, and the Queen of England wanted complete knowledge on her wedding. And Charlotte was forced to watch from the sidelines.

Besides the obvious change of pace that had her head spinning, Charlotte was having her own internal battle with herself. She was trying not to let her own secrets consume her. However, as the time ticked away in her head, it was getting increasingly difficult to fight them off.

Therefore, when Charlotte expresses it was becoming too much for her, she meant that in every way possible. So much, in fact, she was starting to feel it physically. Every few seconds she would have to swallow the bile that would arise from the depths of her throat. Along with having to remind herself to breathe after the few short breaths she graced herself. And as she continuously paced, she began to grow dizzy, her sight going in and out drastically.

Charlotte took hold of the arm of the sofa beside her as leverage to help her sit, just as someone took hold of her other hand, much to her surprise. The young woman snapped her head up only to meet dark brown hues she had been trying to keep out of her mind. She had no time to grasp why or how he was in front of her at the moment, but if she were being honest, she did not care.

Anthony Bridgerton was running late for his meeting with the Queen. A meeting to discuss his wedding that she, herself wanted to be in the loop of because he proposed to her diamond. Though it all seemed superficial for most, it was exactly what he wanted. An arrangement without much feeling, so neatly tied into a bow it almost looked too good to be true. And with everything to do to prepare for such an arrangement, it distracted him from falling into all things Charlotte Wentworth.