x. doomsday

chapter ten: doomsday( trigger warning: explanations of abusive content

( trigger warning: explanations of abusive content. )

   Rosanna Wentworth was always an optimist. A woman full of light who looked at the brighter days ahead instead of the dreary days in the present. Someone who saw glasses half full instead of half empty. Someone who no matter what, looked down at her children with a smile on her face. Mother was calm, she always had an answer to everything. She was light on her feet, and she had her optimism and strength to thank for that.

Charlotte wished she had just an ounce of what her mother had. She wished she could see the good in everything and everyone. In every situation, in every intention. But she couldn't. Especially on a night like tonight. As the young woman sat at her vanity, already dressed and ready for the night ahead of her, she brushed her hair absentmindedly with one thought drifting in her mind. That this singular moment was only the calm before a most dangerous, and powerful storm, waiting to sink the ship she took forever to build to protect not only herself, but everyone she loved.

The young woman really did not know what to expect from her grandparents. Would they look at her and immediately shame her? Or flat out pretend as though she did not exist? Charlotte did not know which was worse, come to think of it. Nevertheless, this dinner was not about her. It was about Amelia. Her happiness would be worth it in the end. Charlotte just had to keep reminding herself of that so she would not put herself in a panic.

   Since returning to the Danbury Manor and was immediately taken upstairs by the ladies-in-waiting to get ready for the dinner, Charlotte could feel her body start to reject the events taking place sooner and sooner as the clock ticked down. Amelia was far too excited to see the grandparents she hadn't seen since her older sister's season to notice a change in behavior, but Charlotte did not blame her.

   This was something Charlotte would have to go through on her own.

"Our guests have arrived."

Through the mirror of her vanity, Charlotte met the expectant eyes of Lady Danbury, who stood at the doorway of the bedroom. The young woman placed her brush on the desk before her with a sigh, before getting up and making her way toward her late mother's close friend.

   But before Charlotte could pass the older woman and make her way through the threshold, a certain cane blocked her from doing so. Charlotte looked up from her view of the floor, "you may spare me any instruction or pep-talk, Lady Danbury. I know I am to be on my best behavior."

Lady Danbury merely nodded, studying the young woman in front of her, "you really are so much like your mother. Trying all you can for those you love no matter the cost of yourself. You may not believe me when I tell you this, my dear, but perhaps it would surprise you to learn that I am hosting this dinner for the betterment of everyone involved. Truth will out, one way or another. And I can tell you, it will not be easy, but I will do my best to make it as painless as possible. Now, come along. Our guests are waiting."