Chapter 1: Karaoke

Love. Just another word that can get you hurt. No matter how much you care or how much you try to avoid it, you always end up crying with an ache in your chest. Moping around for weeks, being reminded of them and everything they were to you before they left. Being reminded they're never coming back. That's love. And I personally, want no part of it. Not anymore. Boyfriends are overrated anyway, you know? I have my friends and my career. I don't even have time for a boyfriend. All of these are reasons I came up with my rules.    

    Rule Number One: No Commitment. Can't fall for a man that I sleep with because that's a lot of pain I don't have time for.

    Rule Number Two: No Strings Attached. A good time is all I'm here for. The second someone gets attached, I leave and never come back. I know it's a bitch move and it hurts when I do it, but I can't let anyone think I'll change my mind.

    Rule Number Three: Never sleep with someone twice. I've broken this rule only a few times and that's because they know how to pleasure a woman. Gotta get my kicks somewhere and I only call someone twice if I can't find anyone else. Which is why I'm in this apartment for the second time in 2 weeks.

"You know you don't have to go, right? You could always stay the night." Steve said, patting the bed beside him. After putting my sneakers back on, I turned to face him. Here we go again.

"You've known since the beginning what my rules are," I said, sitting on the edge of his bed. I finished putting my long ginger hair in a high ponytail and looked at him once more. He was pretty easy on the eyes but was kind of aggressive in the sack. "And if I didn't know any better, I'd say you've gotten attached." He just shrugged his shoulders and flopped back onto his bed. He sighed.

"Just had hope, I guess." I looked puzzled as I threw my coat on.
"Hope about what, Steve?" He looked at me.

"I hoped you'd think I was different or something." I looked at him and I felt bad. I hated when the guys I would have fun with would try and change my mind on my rules. And there was a small part of me that wanted to. But I knew the consequences if I did so. I stood up.

"If I knew you would get attached, Steve, I wouldn't have come over." I started heading towards the door when I heard him ask,

"Is this the last time? Will I ever see you again? Did I fuck everything up?" I turned to look at him one last time.

"We both want different things, and I can't keep hurting you. It's not my intention. You knew my rules and I have made it very clear I wasn't changing for anyone. Not even you. I'm sorry."

With that, I walked out the door. Most people respect my rules. But about 5% always want to change me or the way I work. Whenever that happens, I cut ties immediately. As I made it down the stairs I heard my phone chime. I put my glasses on and read the message out loud,
'Hurry up slow ass. We're late.' I chuckled to myself and ran until I got outside the building. I looked up at Steve's window one last time before sprinting down the street. I noticed Steve standing in the window, staring at me as I ran. He waved and backed away enough so I couldn't see him anymore. About 5 minutes of running, I saw his silhouette. I creep up and tackle him to the ground.

"Oh shit. When did you get so strong?" Peter whined under me. I laughed. 

"Carrying all this bad-assness takes a lot of work," I plopped my head on his chest. "You're a very soft pillow. All the hoes you have must love snuggling you." He chuckles at my words.

"Alright, alright. Get up bum." He said to me. I stood up and reached my arm out to help him up too.

"One of these days, Anna," Peter started as he dusted himself off. "I'm going to get badly hurt from your tackles and abuse and you're going to pay my hospital bills." He flicked my forehead. I rubbed the spot and said,