𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

When you finally came to, the very first thing you realized was that you were no longer draped over the dingy sofa in the center of the cave. Even half-asleep, you recognized the lingering jasmine and warm vanilla scent of Star's bedroom alcove.

Purple silk sheets and quilts of all colors surrounded you in a messy makeshift nest. You wrapped your fists around them to try and pull yourself out of sleep, which proved to be difficult on account of the wave of vertigo that suddenly came over you and left you spinning into the plush pillows stacked tall behind your head.

You blinked your eyes open to see Star kneeling at the foot of the bed, twisting her slender fingers through the frayed ends of her skirt. Her eyes shot up at your subtle movement and she watched silently, like a cat, as you clutched at your throat. The thick bandage you once felt there was missing, and so was the gaping wound it once protected.

Raised scar tissue drew the shape of an arch — like a bite mark — on the side of your neck. Eyes wide and frightful, your gaze drifted right to Star, who had a hand over her lips to help choke back the sob that threatened to slip through at any moment. "I'm sorry," she croaked, and it was just then that you realized what had happened.

Michael was a half-vampire and he bit you. And then, through a feverish haze, you remember David, and you remember drinking something sweet and hot from his palm. You remember how good it tasted, how it filled you to the brim with warmth and convinced you that you were safe when nothing else could.

Fingers trembling, you cup both hands over your lips. At the mere thought of David's blood, your mouth began to salivate. When you looked back at Star for guidance, she was wiping a stray tear from her watery eyes. "I'm so sorry," she repeated, "I shouldn't have let them do this to you."

Still riding that wave of shock, you shook your head slowly. None of this was Star's fault.

The colorful bead curtain beside the bed twinkled and you turned your head lethargically to see Marko half-hidden behind the rose-colored glass beads. He peaked through, parting the curtain with the backs of his fingers. He seemed nervous, like a child sneaking back into the living room after an argument.

Marko gulped, looking from Star to you and holding his gaze there for the longest time before glancing back at her regretfully. "He's here."

You furrowed your eyebrows and made two fists in the blanket closest to you. He? Who's he?

Before you could open your mouth to ask this yourself, Star stood up and created a human barrier between you and Marko. Her hands were folded into fragile fists at her sides. She opened her mouth, probably to tell him off for intruding on her space, but before she could usher a word out of her mouth, her bottom lip wobbled and she flew out of the room, shoulder-checking him on her way out.

Marko sighed, biting hard on his bottom lip before braving a small smile and coming toward you. "How are you feeling?" he asked, kneeling beside you to stroke your arm comfortingly.

"Sleepy," you shrugged. It was the only response you could stomach. Your chest was in knots and every time you opened your mouth, you were afraid of producing more than just words. Marko's face fell and he stood, moving his hand to the small of your back as he sat down beside you in bed. "You slept two days straight," he whispered, rubbing small, comforting circles into your spine. "You still tired?"

You nodded. You knew you should've been frightened of Marko. All evidence pointed to him being a vampire — an accomplice to Michael's turning. To your turning.

Oh god, you thought, wincing as the bile once again threatened to rise in your throat. You were going to turn. You were going to go through every pain and torment that Michael kept hidden from you this past week. "Mhm," you nodded, leaning into the palm that Marko had pressed against your forehead and whining at the feel of his steely cold skin. He mumbled something under his breath that you knew you weren't supposed to hear so you didn't bother trying to understand.