Issue #0: Remember

There is nothing but pitch black. There is a burning sensation in my lungs. And then I hear a noise.

CAW CAW

The cries call me towards them. They are above me but I can barely move. I push and I push but I feel I can't get out. My everything hurts.

CAW CAW

It keeps calling me to them. I feel I need to bust out. My everything is weak but I must fight. I crawl and scratch and tear and I realize I'm in a wooden container.

YOUR STRENGTH YOU FOOL. USE YOUR STRENGTH.

I concentrate and I break through only to find dirt. Eventually I push my way through it all. Although it hurts to breathe, it does not feel like I'm suffocating. The sky blinds me even on a dark, rainy night. The lightning ignites the sky in pure white. I try to adjust my eyes with my hands covered in dirt.

TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH.

I look around for the source of the voice and find no one.

BEHIND YOU, YOU OAF.

I look and see no one, but I see a rock. A tombstone to be more exact. And on it reads (Y,N) (L,N). And with that memories suddenly flood me for but a brief moment.

I am (Y,N) (L,N), troubled orphan some would claim. Expelled from 3 schools by the time I entered the sixth grade, I kept getting into fights. No one adopted me. No one to take care of me or to love except for-

The memories stop. They all happened in quick succession. Sixteen years lived through in ten seconds. Every heartache, every punch received in a fight. Every scrape from learning to ride a bike. Added on top of the pain I already felt. I regained my senses and then remembered what I was searching for. I looked behind the tombstone. No one was there.

UP HERE. UP HERE.

I looked and on top of a cross, a crow stared down at me with its head tilted.

GLAD TO SEE YOUR HEARING IS NOT IMPAIRED.

It's beak did not move but the sounded like it was coming from the bird. 

"What are you?" I asked.

I AM YOUR PASSENGER. I AM YOUR GUIDE.

"What?"

YOU ARE CONFUSED BUT YOU MUST REMEMBER. THINK. REMEMBER...

I try and try to remember. I focus and suddenly a new memory appears.

. . .

I am in a place, I can't say world but a land of chaos. The skies are red and demons and darkness surround it. But there's no hellfire and I am not in agony. I am standing in front of a hooded figure sitting in a throne.

 I am standing in front of a hooded figure sitting in a throne

"So you're Death? I thought you'd be taller. And deader." I say.

"Cute. Not many mortals treat me so informally. Even beings of superior power have shown greater manners. Albeit, he was always in love with me. I mean can you blame him? That is besides the point. Do you know why you have an audience with me?"