01: The Love Taken Away

##

##

Your grandfather loved reading you tales when you were a child, especially the ones about the lovers and the dreamers. He thought they were the greatest of stories; he believed in the great love that everybody was destined to.

He was a romantic that way, and you knew it had everything to do with your grandmother and the love they shared when she was still alive, something he still nurtures and lives out, he said.

As you grew up, you understood; you were able to live through the beginnings of your great love story with the man you knew was the love of your life.

But you wish your grandfather also read you tragedies, though; that way you could've been prepared for the real world outside of your storybooks. Not everyone is destined for a great love story, you'd learn, or it doesn't last long. Not for you, at least.

To know love and to lose it - perhaps there's no greater pain than that.

**

You fold your last remaining sweater and tuck it in the luggage bag with the rest of your things, good enough for what you hope would only be a week-long trip back to your hometown.

It's a place you only go to once a year, at least ever since you left for the city 3 years ago. You're glad that your family visits you here every few months, although not because they fully approve of your move, but more because they miss you; life isn't the same without you there, they'd said.

As you zip your bag, you hear the bickering outside of your tiny studio apartment, and that's how you know they've arrived. You go to the door once the bell rings.

"Hmm, you're on time," you say, unamused.

"Driver Taehyung at your service," your friend bows at you. "I couldn't let the guy who drives so slowly nor the girl who'd fight every car that overtakes her take the wheel," he says, cocking his head to the right then left, referring to Jimin then Mi-rae.

This earns you a hushed laugh, although the other two aren't that delighted.

Jimin, your cousin, approaches you for a hug. "Glad you're at least ready and packed on time this time," he smiles, eyeing your things. "No delaying tactics anymore, I see. Is this progress?"

You roll your eyes at the subtle jab, although you don't refute. You'd welcome any delays of going home, whatever they may be.

"Don't get your hopes up, Jimin. Watch her take her sweet time at the cafe on the way later; you know she'd push it," Mi-rae, your best friend, laughs as she hugs you, too.

"This happens every year, get used to it," you grumble, taking your bag and getting ready to leave.

"Did you have a guy over?" Taehyung stops your movement.

You stare back at his curious eyes. "What did I tell you about not using your superhuman ability when you're here?" You scowl, referring to his heightened sense of smell because, well, that's one advantage he has as a werewolf over you, a human.