PROLOGUE

"Be careful, you might fall" Hakim said running after Princess Cyra
"You are the General's son, and you can't catch up to me? Lazy!" Cyra said running off again
Hearing this, Hakim took up the challenge and ran faster. In no time he caught up with Princess Cyra, but the force he used to grab her hand made her lose balance, making them both fall to the ground. Princess Cyra laughed out loud.
"Someone took me seriously, well done future General. I now believe that you can become a soldier afterall" Princess Cyra said
Hakim stared at Cyra admiringly. This was his wife, and when they finally come of age, they would start to live together. He thought of how much fun it would be having your best friend around all the time. He imagined all the different games they would play together when they start to live together. But then he realized, grown ups don't play those games. They play grown up games, like archery, and chess, and horse racing.
"You are still on top of me Hakim" Princess Cyra said interrupting his thoughts
"I'm sorry Shahzadi" Hakim said, quickly getting up again
"When will you finally get used to calling me by my name? You're my best friend remember? And my husband too" Princess Cyra said, slapping the dust off her dress
"Fine then, I shall seize being so formal, but I shall not call you by your name. Rather, I shall call you..." Hakim thought looking up at the sky. Just then, he saw a bird flying past.
"Bulbul" He finally said smiling
Princess Cyra smiled slowly, unsuringly, and then burst into laughter.
"Oh Hakim, I love it" she said and gave him a hug.
"Worry not, I can hug you now, we are married". Princess Cyra said, shaking off his thoughts. Slowly, Hakim embraced her too. The smell of sweet almonds graced his nostrils. He knew it was her hair. It was covered properly, but given that she was shorter, he could perceive the scent of her hair through the scarf. The afternoon breeze brushed past them swiftly. It didn't relieve them of the heat of the desert sun, rather, it reminded them of how hot it was. Suddenly, Hakim felt a sharp pain in his chest. He staggered backwards, and there it was. A bread knife, sticking out of his chest. Blood poured down his Kaftan, soaking it a deep maroon.
"Shahzadi" he gasped
There was death in her eyes, an anger he had never before seen in anyone, let alone his bulbul.
"The time has come to pay for your sins, Shahzad Hakim" Princess Cyra said venomously, in a voice that wasn't hers. A slithering female voice, more...mature, older, darker.
Everywhere began to look hazy and his eyes began to close. He caught a last glimpse of Princess Cyra staring down at him, perhaps to make sure he was dead. He couldn't keep his eyes open any longer, he could feel the strength seeping out of him, like the blood pouring down his chest. Then finally, his eyes went shut.
...
Suddenly, he opened his eyes again. It was a dream. He wasn't seven years old anymore. And he was really Shahzad Hakim.