Chapter One

Madi's POV

Another cry escaped my lips as I felt Viper's boot once more make contact with my side.

All of this - being sent to the basement, no food, Viper soaking me - it may be painful, but it's worth it.

Last time I went out, I had stolen a few loaves of bread and a few fruits. When Snyder found out, he went berserk. He threw me down into the basement, his own little form of punishment. During the time that I'd been in here - I estimated around 2-2 ½ weeks - I had gotten a single slice of bread and one glass of water per day. The only reason I had been fed at all was because Snyder couldn't afford to have another kid die under his 'care'. If you could even call it care.

I felt Viper's boot collide with my back, knocking the air out of my lungs. It was almost certain that he had at least cracked a rib, if not broken it.

As I struggled to catch my breath, Viper bent down.

"Maybe you'll think twice before disobeying my Uncle next time," He hissed.

I glared at him, barely able to breathe, or much less speak.

"Aw, is the little girly scared?" He taunted.

Gathering up all the strength I had left, I kicked him in the stomach. He glared at me and kicked my head, likely breaking my nose upon contact with the cement floor. I felt warm blood trickle down my face from both my nose and my forehead. Viper was saying something, but I couldn't understand what. His voice sounded far away, distant, fuzzy. I saw black spots appear in front of my eyes and felt one last kick to the gut before everything went black.