1 - The Chilly Welcome

Bella Swan hated change—unfortunate considering how susceptible her life was to it. Like a curse, an intruder, or a shadow, it followed her every step. From her parents' divorce, to the lengthy court battles, and now to Seattle Airport, Bella forgot what it felt like to have a peaceful breath.

Though, that wasn't entirely true. Bella often reminisced simpler times in secrecy. Long summer days spent dashing through sprinklers with her dad while her mom complained they'd get mud in the house once they were done. Occasional rainy car rides where all she'd do for hours was race water droplets down the window. Or her favorite, long hunts with her dad, sitting up in the trees and scaring away the game with their constant joke competitions.

The elevator chime tugged her back to reality, away from the few memories she looked back on through rose-tinted glasses. Bella's shoes squeaked against the pretty tiled floors, her baggage rolling behind her. She pushed the brown locks falling from her ponytail behind her pale ears and yawned into her palm. The four hours of travel wore her down more than she anticipated, but at least she dressed for the occasion—simple grey sweats, floppy comfortable sneakers, and an oversized Amon Amarth hoodie her dad got her for her 17th birthday.

The young woman glided with the crowd, flowing through a long white corridor with sunlight streaming through the windows. Behind them, planes roared as they ascended into the air. Bella pawed at the phone in her pocket, checking to confirm it was still secure. She monitored the people around her on their journey. A woman spoke angrily on the phone as the clack of her heels echoed in the long hall. Two kids giggled and laughed, weaving between people and baggage while their parents tried keeping up. Three men were barely awake, one practically dozing while his feet dragged behind him. Dozens more all around her, each with a story of their own, each with plans and aspirations that make them stand out. The only thing that connected them was their destination. Even as swarms of people from other flights mixed in like a shot of vodka to a beverage, their current didn't sway to a new wind.

The front doors towered above them with beautifully tempered green glass, opening for the front waves of people, inviting them all to the new world.

Bella Swan stepped out into the Seattle air, a soft breeze churning down the long stretch of gently curved road. She moved to the sidelines as the current of people passed her by, her green eyes scanning the pick-up car line. Picturesque stone designs clashed with the shiny teslas, huge blue transport busses, and beaten-up family cars. Her eyes caught blues, greys, and reds, but she failed to find the green car her dad told her would be waiting. Then, just when she moved to fish for her phone, she heard him.

"Belladonna!"

Her head snapped up in the direction of Jacob Black's voice. He stood by a small car, waving his hand to catch her attention. The chilly sunlight contrasts his skin, making him radiant like a warm moon. His black hair was as messy and matted as ever, and she was sure she could see a twig or two sticking out from his head. Jacob wore a long-sleeve green linen shirt, its triangular neckline fastened by a black thread, and simple brown pants. Forest boy, as always.

Bella grinned as bright as the Arizona sun she left behind, letting go of her baggage handle and rushing toward his outstretched arms. He welcomed her into them and held her tightly, resting his chin on her head. They stayed like that for a long, quiet moment before Bella rubbed Jacob's arm as a signal to break apart. She wiped the beads of tears away from her eyes, happy to see her friend again.

"Long time no see, Dog Boy."

"My nickname for you is still better," Jacob teased, a sparkle in his golden brown eyes.

"You didn't give me much to work with," she hummed back with a sassy shrug to her shoulders. Jacob feigned getting shot by her mocking, dramatically falling back against the car. With a playfully disappointed shake of her head, Bella popped open the backseat door and poked her head in. "Hi, Mr. Black!"