[1] Departure

"Melissa. Why am I leaving?"

"It's your dream to attend U.A., remember?"

You stared down at her with eyes that should have expressed confusion. They should have held some emotion in them.

And yet they did not.

Your eyes were only artificial tech, after all.

Melissa stared up at you with crinkled eyes and a sad smile curving her pink lips.

She recalled when she first discovered via a frantic phone call that you and your family had been caught up in a violent villain attack. After confirming the death count and your status, David Shield had your unconscious body flown from California to I-Island in an effort to bring you back.

Melissa was already devastated, but it worsened when the fact that your parents were unsalvageable was spoken to her by her own father.

The bodies were in horrendous shape and Melissa had demanded to at least see a picture, but David refused.

You'd been incubating within a glass tank filled with a strange liquid for a good year or two before Melissa and her team succeeded in making all the artificial body parts that would replace your damaged ones.

Your eyes.

Both your arms.

One foot and one leg.

A team of skilled surgeons removed your damaged body parts and attached new ones, making sure to connect all the transmitters to the proper nerve endings. Artificial skin wasn't stretched over your new limbs, contrary to popular belief.

Fortunately, your brain was still intact.

However.. the parts of the brain that controlled your emotions and stored your memories were damaged beyond repair.

Although you looked like him.. you were not the [L/n] [Name] that Melissa once knew.

"Be careful, okay? As strong as it is, carbon fiber breaks in response to concentrated impact. You can't get into fights just yet." Her smile became a bright one as she gave your upper arm a firm pat, the bracelet on her wrist jingling.

Your arms were made of carbon fiber, stainless steel and other, less obvious materials.

You looked down at Melissa over your shoulder as she pushed you towards the airport doors. "According to the airport manual you have provided me, I will set off the metal detector at the clearance."

Melissa laughed jovially as she kept moving you along. "Don't worry! Papa is there to specify. He's been waiting, y'know!"

Behind you, a butler was dragging along your luggage, which wasn't much.

"Mr. Shield is loitering."

"It's okay!" Melissa did a roundabout to walk backwards in front of her friend. Winking, she said, "As much as I don't like to brag, Papa has some power around here."

"That is bias."

"..Somehow, your personality hasn't changed much." She snickered to herself as she ran ahead, looking back to give you a grin of mischief. "C'mon! You can't miss your flight!"

"The only prohibitor to me missing my flight is your direct orders."

When you and Melissa encountered David, he'd already talked to the security.

"Papa!" Melissa ran up to her father right away, giving him a good hug.

"Hi, sweetie." Smiling, the man pat his daughter's head.

As Melissa released him, David turned his attention to you, who'd arrived at a calm walking pace. "[Name]. It's hard seeing you go so soon, son."

"It is Melissa's wish." You calmly replied, staring up at the man with your eerie black sclera and (e/c) irises. Melissa left your eyes that way because she thought it looked cool, much to David's dismay.

"Have fun, alright? And make sure to switch out your eyes when you get back. They creep me out." David laughed as Melissa slapped his arm, scolding him for being so rude.

Your head robotically shook side to side, your uneven, but generally jaw-length hair swaying. "Those were not Melissa's orders. I must keep the eyes."

David shortly exhaled through his nose. Amused, he glanced down at his daughter. "He only listens to you, huh?"

Melissa giggled, her fingers coming to her lips. "Mhm! Even though we never programmed him to do anything of the sort, he still does!"

"How odd." Chuckling, David closed his eyes and smiled as he lightly ruffled your messy hair. "Stay safe, y'hear? And you remember how to use your boosters?"

"Yes." You held your right hand out, revealing a circular opening whose covers slid opposite ways to reveal a glowing core. "Incine—"

"Not here!" Melissa squeaked with panic as she closed your fingers around your palm. Glaring softly, she yelped, "You could've hurt someone!"

"Yes, but I did not."

"..Get going, okay? Make sure to text me lots!" Huffing, she shoved you through the metal detector, which beeped. "The timezone difference is gonna be tricky to deal with, but I'll definitely make sure to respond!"

As you walked away, Melissa called with hands around her mouth, "You remember where the gate is, right!?"

You called back in monotone, "Yes. Goodbye, Melissa, Mr. Shield."

They watched you disappear into the crowd, luggage now in hand.

"Papa.." Melissa's blue eyes held a certain distantness to them as they searched the crowd for a mop of sloppy [h/c] hair. "Was it right.. making him pursue a dream he doesn't remember?"

David's eyes softened as he pat the girl's head. "Only time will tell."