Chapter 1 - Childhood

Disclaimer: I do not own Avatar, or any of the related characters besides my OC. The Avatar series is created by James Cameron and distributed by 20th Century Fox, all rights of the original Avatar world belong to them. This story is fanfiction and is meant only for fun, which means I earn no compensation in any form from its publication.

I also used my creative liberty and decided to slightly adjust the ages of the main characters. I'm aware that Na'vi reach adulthood between the ages of 15 - 17, but I was slightly uncomfortable writing about the mating processes, when they would still be considered children on Earth. Therefore, once the storyline of The Way of Water takes place, the following ages will be applied:

Spider: 19

Neteyam, Neriah and Aonung: 18

Kiri and Rotxo: 17

Lo'ak and Tsireya: 16

Tuktirey: 9

Tarsem: 21

Additionally, I would like to mention, that English is not my first language so please excuse any grammar, semicolon or vocabulary mistakes. If I use an incorrect word, that causes a whole paragraph to no longer make sense, please don't hesitate to correct me.

Thank you for clicking on my story and I hope you enjoy.

∿∿∿∿∿∿∿∿

I took my first breath a few minutes after my brother Neteyam. He loved to flaunt with the fact, that this made him the first-born of Toruk Makto but I'm convinced that he already annoyed me in our mother's womb so much, that I enjoyed a few minutes in solitude before I followed him into the world. My grandmother, the great and wise Tsahìk Mo'at, was the first person to hold me in her arms, as I came into the world without making a single sound. It wasn't until an atokirina landed on top of my forehead, that I started screaming my little lungs out. "My granddaughter, Neriah te Suli Neytiri'ite" she proclaimed and the people were ecstatic to welcome me into their clan. My birth was proclaimed a gift from the Great Mother, as twins were very rare amongst the Na'vi. Stories and songs shared among the Omatikaya clan declared, that children which shared a womb will share a deep connection and strong bond throughout their life. That was certainly true to some extent, especially when we were little, the two of us seemed inseparable. Only on rare occasions could we be encountered on our own, the other one was not far off, most of the time at least. To be fair, it was mostly me following Neteyam around wherever he went, but that's just a minor detail.

The two of us were always looking for mischief, mostly causing havoc among the clan members. Preferably in the kitchen of course, as most of the cooks had a soft spot for us and would sneakily hand us a few sweets without our mother noticing. In hindsight, she probably noticed that we rarely ate something at the last meal, but she never prohibited our roguish fun. Most of the time, when we explored the surrounding forests, we were accompanied by our sister Kiri, who was born from the avatar of Dr. Augustine and adopted by my parents. I loved it when she accompanied us, pointing out the smallest things that I never would have noticed in the first place. "Do you see this mushroom cap? We went past this exact spot yesterday and it wasn't there. That means it has sprouted overnight", she'd proclaim excitedly and made us spend the whole afternoon watching the mushroom enlarge to its full size by elongating the stem. This happened on multiple occasions and I may have fallen asleep at almost half of those incidences but still, I cherished those memories. We spent hours together exploring our home in the Hallelujah Mountains or making up fake scenarios and soon enough, the three of us were accompanied by our brother Lo'ak, once he was old enough to keep up with us. Around that time our true personalities developed and what can I say, although, I loved my siblings dearly, sometimes I wanted to slap their heads with a stick to check if there was even a brain inside or simply just air.