Wishing on the stars

Distant laughter and sounds of splashing water were all that could be heard that night. The Metkayina people together with the Sully family, now part of the clan as well, were celebrating the end of the battle against the sky people. Everyone seemed happy, finally letting go and just enjoying those moments with their friends and family. Everyone but Neteyam.

Don’t get him wrong, he was just as happy, but something was missing. Perhaps he was missing his real home, the forest, where he grew up. He always felt a bit of nostalgia and a twinge of sadness whenever he thought back on the old days. Running around the forest with his brother and sisters, laying on the ground and just listening to the sounds around them, the voice of Eywa. Flying around with his father in the Hallelujah Mountains.

No, it was not that. Yes, he did miss his old home and especially his friends and grandma, but his father promised them that they will go back from time to time. The nature around them was just as beautiful, the water, reefs, the creatures. Awa’atlu was simply just as beautiful as his former house. The people finally accepted them fully, and he found himself new friends that he trusted.

Speaking of which, from his spot on a little rock away from all the commotion, he could see all of his friends enjoying the party. Tuk was running around with other kids. Kiri was with their mother, Ronal and a couple of other women braiding flowers and shells to pass around. Lo’ak and Tsireya were clumsily dancing around while Rotxo and Aonung were laughing at them. When his eyes landed on Aonung and he felt a little pang in his chest.

He didn’t know when it started. When his curiosity towards the other turned into interest and then faded into...whatever that was. He was not used to feelings of love nor he ever had the time to think about it, especially in the last few months. But with Aonung it just kind of..happened? They spent a lot of time together and even if they started on the wrong foot, they now were really close friends, and they cared dearly about each other, even his brother Lo’ak. Not that either of them would ever admit that out loud.

He would often hear about his parents’ love story, how they met and how they fell in love, or just see them love and care for each other from afar. But he never gave romance any thought, not when his ‘big brother’ duties were taking a lot of his time.

This is why he was not as happy as the others. First of all, he now had more free time, and of course he could just relax and enjoy this new freedom, but his mind wouldn’t shut up about the Metkayinan boy. He kept thinking and rewinding their moments together, when they would go for rides or dives alone, how they would share little glances and laughter, or when he came back from the battlefield and Aonung wouldn’t let go of his side until he was sure that Neteyam was okay. That didn’t help his poor little heart, which was not used to beating so fast and especially having the other boy all over him.

He was sure it was just his mind playing games with him, overthinking every interaction, every little touch. He was going insane, there was no way that Aonung would like him, a boy. There was nothing wrong with it, it was just as normal as liking a girl, but he was the oldest son, his parents and their clan surely has great expectations for him. What would they do if their next heir couldn’t have children?

But that was no problem as Aonung had lots of girls ready to throw themselves at him, and to be honest, who wouldn’t? He just needed to choose the right partner. Neteyam promised himself to be happy for the other boy whatever choice he made, cause that is what friends are for, right?

Speaking of which, Aonung got taken away from a Metkayinan girl who wanted to dance with him. Neteyam didn’t know her name but she was beautiful. She hung around Aonung from time to time but he never asked him about her. He couldn’t. Her long hair braided beautifully and ornated with white shells and pink flowers was moving around with every move they made. They were moving around smoothly, just like water. A lot of the other Na’vi were watching them, or better, staring in awe. He couldn’t see Aonung’s face but he was sure that he was having a great time, maybe he found his perfect match.