The Welcoming

"I want to go home."

"Dad I-" 

The words seeped out of him as his breath did the same. I love you he wanted to say but it didn't come, he could only feel a single tear burn hot on his cheek making his vision blur. Like a reoccurring dream of falling he could feel his heart begin to drop. For a moment all was still and he could once again feel the hard ground under his back and breath rushing back into his lungs. He jolted up right.

"I love you!" He screamed. 

His head spun as he took in where he was. He was surrounded by lush streaks of pinks and purples and the ground beneath him glowed. The spirit tree.

"Don't you think it is a little too soon for that," an unfamiliar voice replied. He turned to his side to see her kneeling next to him. She too glowed in a majestic way he couldn't explain. Her black locks were parted to the side with bright hazel eyes that sparkled with curiosity, her lips parted into a smile.

"He is awake," she said.

"Oooh you must be excited Emi, I'm sure it's the first time you've heard those words," A boy around the same age as her snickered. Their markings were white against the pale blue and flowed in a similar pattern. They were siblings. Her smile faltered.

"And who said you could come to the Welcoming?" She snapped.

"Mother of course," The boy replied. He picked up the small notepad from the ground. "Let's see here, name is Neteyam, cause of d-" The girl quickly snatched the notepad from her brother's hand.

"Give me that! That is not how it's supposed to be done, now go away." She took a deep breath and the smile returned. "Forgive Kai, he has been especially bored lately," She turned to see him skipping away triumphantly. "And a little sick in the head-" She stopped, her thumb reaching for Neteyam's cheek.

"You're crying," She hesitated but wiped it away. "Why?"

Neteyam faltered back quickly wiping his face with the back of his hand. "I- i don't know. " "Where am I? What happened?"

She stood up and offered her hand "I know you must have a ton of questions, and that's what the Welcoming is for." When he didn't take it she took his wrists and pulled him up. "C'mon we have a lot to get through before it starts. We are at the spirit tree, you've been here many times before, believe it or not we've even met many times before," Emi explained.

"Look, I need to go back," He began.

"Where?" She asked.

Neteyam paused, "I am not exactly sure, I just feel like-"

"Looks like It has already started," She replied.

"What has?"

"Your memory loss, mother is taking it away. And if that idiot Kai hadn't wasted so much time," She took another deep breath. 

"You died Neteyam. Technically I am not allowed to tell you that," She shrugged it off, "but I say if you're going to forget anyway it should be fine. I hope."

"Oh right," She took the notepad and hurriedly scribbled on it. "Your first words on the ancestral forest were I love you. That was cute, I at least want you to remember that." She tore off the small piece of paper and handed it to him. "Just don't let Mother see, she'll throw a fit."

"Who is Mother?" He asked.

"Eywa of course, who else?"