Too Close For Comfort - Part Eleven

_____________

"Peter... how long have you been watching me?"

From across the island, Peter's body shifted, and he set down the pitcher of sweet tea that was in his hands. He crossed his arms and rested them against the counter, leaning his body in my general direction. His facial expression changed from lighthearted to serious, and his eyes narrowed a bit as he gazed into my own. For a moment, he didn't speak. He just stared at me, looking lost in his own thoughts. My body tensed a bit; his unnatural appearance still sending that familiar chill barreling down my spine. I dont think I'll ever get used to him looking at me like that.

"...A long time." He said after what felt like an eternity, tapping his slender finger against the island, "I've lost track of just how long, in all honesty."

I looked down, exhaling a long, heavy sigh. I rolled my bruised ankle in circles, scuffing my foot against the wooden floor beneath me. He talked about this situation so calmly, like we were having some kind of completely normal conversation. His tone of voice didn't once implicate that he felt disgusted by his own actions, or hell, even just realize how messed this really was. Could he not grasp what he was putting me through by doing all of this? A better question; did he even care?

"...That's pretty scary." I mumbled under my breath, forgetting for a moment to bite my tongue. Once realizing what I had said, I glanced up at Peter, waiting to see his reaction. His lips were turned into a tight frown, and he was looking off to the side to avoid my gaze. Judging by the look on his face, it almost seemed like he was... ashamed of himself.

"I... I dont want to scare you, Y/n. I want to make you happy. That's all I've ever wanted since the moment I laid eyes on you, I just-..."

Peter suddenly let out a frustrated sigh, rubbing a hand along his cheek. He stood up and circled around the island, walking over to where I was struggling to stand on my own. He gently lifted me up and set me back down on the counter top, before sliding onto his knees in front of me. I stared at him with a raised eyebrow, my face flushed and my body tense by his sudden closeness. Even despite the island being about four feet tall, Peter was still neck level with it when he was on his knees.

'Just another reminder of how massive this guy really is.'

Peter gently took my hand into his own, bringing it closer to his face and resting it against his cheek. My first instinct was to pull away from him, but... I found myself frozen in place; unable to move a single muscle. He relaxed into my forced touch and closed his eyes, exhaling a soft sigh against my wrist. Looking down at him in such a vulnerable position, and noticing the seemingly genuine heartache resting on his face... for a moment, it made me a small twinge of guilt.

But only for a moment.

I narrowed my eyes, turning my head to the side. He could try and sweet talk me all he wanted to, but those words meant absolutely nothing after everything he had done. He wanted to make me happy? Well, he sure was doing a piss poor job at it! The only thing that would make me happy now is if I never saw him again.

I sighed, my lip curling into a tight frown.

'Naive thinking again, Y/n.'

"Darling, your skin is so soft." Peter mumbled against my palm, his deep voice drawing my attention back to him. He was staring up at me with the oh-so-dreaded puppy dog eyes, his blue irises reflecting softly in the light. I cringed a bit, that look making me feel the unwanted twinge again.